banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help wiring Dimarzio hum cancelling single-coils with regular single-coil pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wiring Dimarzio hum cancelling single-coils with regular single-coil pickup

I have very little experience with Dimarzio pickups, hum cancelling or otherwise.

I already own a FS-1 that I found too hot and pokie in the bridge position of another Strat that didn't mix well with the two SSL-2's in there (And now that I've got into Big Muffs, I returned the original SSL-6 that the FS-1 replaced and it’s staying put).

For a new "vintage sounding" Strat project, I waiting for a Area 58 for the neck and a Virtual Vintage 54 Pro for the bridge (both at a really good price!). And since I almost never use the middle position by itself, I'm thinking of using my unused FS-1 there and lower it to balance with the other pickups output.

But since my FS-1 is not reverse wound or hum cancelling by itself, for position 2 and 4 to be hum cancelling, do I need to wire it in reverse or will that do something else to the sound?

Any help appreciated.

You should get this done by just reversing the wires on the FS-1.

Of course this assumes that the FS-1 is reverse polarity compared to bridge and neck. Otherwise you only get hum cancelation with out-of-phase. It it reverse polarity?

Comment

Fs-1 has 'North up' magnetic polarity by default. If you have a reverse one the product code will have the letter 'S', for South, ie. DP110S.

Area pickups all have South magnetic polarity, so they will be hum cancelling when split and combined with the standard version FS-1. It's no problem and you can wire the guitar like a JEM, so it does the auto-split in pos' 2 & 4.
      Last edited by Teleplayer; 08-13-2022, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Fs-1 has 'North up' magnetic polarity by default. If you have a reverse one the product code will have the letter 'S', for South, ie. DP110S.

Area pickups all have South magnetic polarity, so they will be hum cancelling when split and combined with the standard version FS-1. It's no problem and you can wire the guitar like a JEM, so it does the auto-split in pos' 2 & 4.
        Thanks! My FS-1 is just a regular default stock DP110 so I'll just wire it normal.

Comment

Let us know how it goes. I have done something similar in my strat.

Neck: Dimarzio HS-2 'flat pole' custom order version
          Middle: Duncan SSL-2 RW/RP
          Bridge: Dimarzio HS-3

Volume pot: 250k, Tone pot: 500k

The Duncan SSL-2 RW/RP is "north up" polarity, same as FS-1, but the connection polarity needed to be swapped to make it in-phase.

Last edited by Teleplayer; 08-14-2022, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X