No announcement yet.

Anyone tried the "Green Magic" set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flip magnet, flip pup and you are there. its a cool sound but honestly, i prefer to have the oop option on a switch. the coil orientation does change the tone a bit but i find that is preference more than anything else.

ive read stories of the neck pup being rewound with formvar wire due to a broken coil and thats when the tech put the mag in backwards and flipped around. who knows. i think the oop thing is the big part and it only has a big effect when both pups are on. hate oop on a strat but with independent volumes (as per greens lp) you can get some awesome tones by rolling one pups volume back a bit

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      flip magnet, flip pup and you are there. its a cool sound but honestly, i prefer to have the oop option on a switch. the coil orientation does change the tone a bit but i find that is preference more than anything else.

ive read stories of the neck pup being rewound with formvar wire due to a broken coil and thats when the tech put the mag in backwards and flipped around. who knows. i think the oop thing is the big part and it only has a big effect when both pups are on. hate oop on a strat but with independent volumes (as per greens lp) you can get some awesome tones by rolling one pups volume back a bit
      I tend to agree. My Epi LP, fitted with WLHs, has a push pull to flip the bridge pickup's phase. I really don't think it matters which pickup is flipped, just that one has to be out of phase with the other. I haven't gone as far as to rotate the pickup as a whole in its mounting though.

Comment

I think in the end, it will be most likely bought by PG Les Paul enthusiasts that don't care (or know) that it is possible to achieve with a normal set. Personally, I am not an out of phase guy, and I don't get why that sound was ever popular, but I am not the target audience here.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If they are good sounding PAF style pickups, it would be easy to flip the magnet for players who prefer a more conventional setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
            If they are good sounding PAF style pickups, it would be easy to flip the magnet for players who prefer a more conventional setup.
            But in that case why not just buy one of their regularPAF-like sets, potentially at a lower price, and save the time, effort and risk?

Comment

I'm not a Green expert but, I think the attraction is to find the right combination of bite and cut, but still sounding full enough like a good vintage LP is supposed to.

There is also the antiquity set. If I was going to buy that I would be tempted put full strength A2 magnets in. Otherwise which A2 PAF set do you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                hate oop on a strat but with independent volumes (as per greens lp) you can get some awesome tones by rolling one pups volume back a bit
                The Gibson ES-340 did a weird variation of this. They did master volume and quasi-blend pot to mix the two pups. The "up" position was both pups on in-phase. Middle position was both on OOP, and down was "standby." It was weird, and poorly implemented, so most ES-340's you see on the market have been changed to ES-335 wiring. (Same as an LP.)

I have a solution, but that's a whole 'nother subject.

Comment

that is very weird and im glad ive never knowingly run into it

Comment

Working...
                  X