banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question About Base Plates for Single Coils.. ​​​​​​​.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Base Plates for Single Coils.. ​​​​​​​.

Greetings,, & not to get caught up in their effectiveness, are they all pretty of equal composition w/similar potential results... Callaham, Fralin, Mill City (at only 9 bucks!!)....?
    Thnx all~

Basically all the same. There may be minor variations in thickness of the steel.
    But I don't think the carbon content makes much difference, as it does with some components.
    So probably all about the same effectiveness IMO - subtle, but audible if you listen for it.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

What kind of single coils? Fender Strat vintage-style singles are a fiber/felt kind of base, modern ones plastic, Telecasters have metal plates, as do P-90s.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        What kind of single coils? Fender Strat vintage-style singles are a fiber/felt kind of base, modern ones plastic, Telecasters have metal plates, as do P-90s.
        Basically any one of the many Duncan's, Fenders A5's with flat underbellys.... thnx

Comment

I went with a Fralin for my Squier CV 60s Strat. Adding the baseplate gave me what I wanted out of the bridge pickup. And I was looking at swapping all of them out too. But the stock pickups are not bad at all. Glad I went this route.

Comment

adding a metal baseplate to a pup seems to tame the high end a bit, which i like on a vintage output bridge pup. ive used the fralin and callaham plates and didnt really notice a difference between them

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              ive used the fralin and callaham plates and didnt really notice a difference between them
              Callaham pickups are (special-wound) Fralin pickups; cryogenically treated.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                I went with a Fralin for my Squier CV 60s Strat. Adding the baseplate gave me what I wanted out of the bridge pickup. And I was looking at swapping all of them out too. But the stock pickups are not bad at all. Glad I went this route.
                I'll have to try this with my CV 50's Strat. The bridge is just a hair too bright.

Comment

yup! great pups too. i was talking about the metal base plates that you slap on a strat pup though

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I'll have to try this with my CV 50's Strat. The bridge is just a hair too bright.
                    While you're in there, change the pots to quality 250K and put in a .1uf tone cap. You'll be glad you did.

Comment

im all about using good 250k pots, i really like the mojotone vintage taper pots. i dont usually love a .1 cap but that is vintage correct

Comment

I normally don't use a .1uf cap but with these single-coils, I felt it was necessary. When I had an American Standard Strat, I put a set of Fender SCNs in it and wired it up EJ style with a .1uf cap. It sounded fantastic so my first instinct with this one was to go that route with the cap if I felt it was too bright.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

While you're in there, change the pots to quality 250K and put in a .1uf tone cap. You'll be glad you did.
                          I'll definitely do the good 250's. I've got a cap substitution box that I'll use to select the ideal cap. (And a bridge baseplate.)

Comment

While we're on the subject, does the material matter? Copper, brass, plated or unplated steel, zinc-coated steel?

Comment

Good question.

Comment

Working...
                              X