Thoughts about humbuckers in P90 shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about humbuckers in P90 shells

Guys, I'm planning a new guitar and want to return to my P90 roots. I love just about everything about my original P90s except for the hum. What are your thoughts about the difference between the stacked Seymour P90s versus putting a different set of humbuckers in a P90 shell?

I play progressive, classic, punk, and southern rock, if that helps.

Humbuckers in P90 shells, if they fit, will still be humbuckers. It's not the casings that create the "P90 sound" but the pickups within.

Comment

I hear (hehe) the Fralin noiseless are really good. They are side-by-side humbuckers but supposed to sound very much P-90.

I don't think the stack concept works too well for emulating a P-90 sound (due to the different magnetic setup).

Comment

Go with the Fralin P90 humbucker, Lindy got it right.

Comment

Thinking about it, one half of a humbucker isn't too dissimilar from a P90. Big flat magnet in the bottom, perpendicular pole pieces magnetized by the magnet (not self magnetic), and a coil wrapped around the pole pieces. Hmmm....

Comment

I love P90 tone but the hum is oppressive.

In conclusion, any humbucker is better for my application.

Comment

Just buy a P90 and a half decent noise gate. Or better yet, play somewhere where the crowd noise drowns out the hum
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

You could also use mini-humbuckers; these were designed to fit in P90 routs. https://www.seymourduncan.com/single...mini-humbucker is a good example.
                "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

p90s came first of course, 10k turns of #42 pe. when the bucker was designed, they literally split that in half, each coil got 5k turns of #42 pe but one magnet shared rather than two for the p90. i love a good p90, i love a good paf type humbucker, i also love a good mini-humbucker and firebird pup. but they all sound different. i can deal with the noise of a p90 to get the tone. i dont use a noise gate, i use my volume control and turn it down when im not playing. been working fine for decades

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                    Thinking about it, one half of a humbucker isn't too dissimilar from a P90. Big flat magnet in the bottom, perpendicular pole pieces magnetized by the magnet (not self magnetic), and a coil wrapped around the pole pieces. Hmmm....
                    Apart from the halved turn count and halved magnetism. So in short the only thing actually similar is that you have 1 coil - and hum

Comment

^ Both those variables depend on the P90 and the humbucker you compare it to.

Comment

Working...
                      X