Capacitor value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor value

Ηey everyone, what's the capacitor μf in this diagram? .022 or .047? https://www.seymourduncan.com/resour...iring-diagrams

I don't see a diagram. If it's for single coils, those are typically .047. If it's for humbuckers, those are typically .022. But other values are also known to work to solve specific situations and combinations of pickups.

Comment

Sorry, this was the diagram, https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...S_3G_2V_1T.jpg

Comment

If I was drunk and feeling confident, I would say .047.

Comment

I must have been drunk then, that's what I was seeing. I'll go with a .022 though, which is usually recommended for guitars other than strats.

Comment

I think it says .047. But I wouldn't use that value for humbuckers.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              I think it says .047. But I wouldn't use that value for humbuckers.
              Imagine that, because that's exactly what value I use for humbuckers.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                Imagine that, because that's exactly what value I use for humbuckers.

Whatever floats your boat. Capacitors are like 5 cents each and 5 seconds soldering time. Every guitarist should play around with a bunch of different values to see what they like. For me though, anything higher that .033 tends to be a little too dark when I roll back the tone knob with humbuckers. Usually .022 is a good place to start.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Whatever floats your boat. Capacitors are like 5 cents each and 5 seconds soldering time. Every guitarist should play around with a bunch of different values to see what they like. For me though, anything higher that .033 tends to be a little too dark when I roll back the tone knob with humbuckers. Usually .022 is a good place to start.
                  Pretty sure that I'm using an 500k audio pot and I usually only roll it off 1/8th a turn at most. And from what I recall from old wiring diagrams 0.047 was what was recommended by SD for it's pickups.

Comment

Capacitors are personal preference. You can get a variety pack pretty cheap and experiment.

Comment

How does the relationship between capacitance and resistance affect the overall tone?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        Pretty sure that I'm using an 500k audio pot and I usually only roll it off 1/8th a turn at most. And from what I recall from old wiring diagrams 0.047 was what was recommended by SD for it's pickups.

I believe where that originally came from was the Tele Gib, which was an early-mid 1950's Telecaster with stock wiring, 250k pots with .050 cap, but a JB and Jazz thrown in there. But note that a 1950's Tele is an ash body with maple neck and long scale, which is bright and snappy, so that blend really works well together.

Comment

Starting point is 0.047 for single coils (4+7=11 or two ones) and 0.022 for huumbuckers (two twos).

Generally speaking a lower value cap will sound brighter / more treble-ey and a larger value darker / more bass-ey.

One last point. Those cheap $5 for 20 (or more) mylar film caps work just as well as $10 for one orange drops, or indeed $50 for one paper in oil ones. They're easier to fit inside a control cavity and won't leak either.

Comment

Awesome feedback and opinions, appreciate everyone's time!

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                              Starting point is 0.047 for single coils (4+7=11 or two ones) and 0.022 for huumbuckers (two twos).

Generally speaking a lower value cap will sound brighter / more treble-ey and a larger value darker / more bass-ey.

One last point. Those cheap $5 for 20 (or more) mylar film caps work just as well as $10 for one orange drops, or indeed $50 for one paper in oil ones. They're easier to fit inside a control cavity and won't leak either.
                              Also, there's very little difference between capacitor values with the tone knob up full and 500k pots. They should be pretty evident once you roll the tone knob back to half though.

Comment

Working...
                              X