JB "types" with Alnico 2/250k pot and their ilk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB "types" with Alnico 2/250k pot and their ilk

I know there have been quite a few threads on A2 JBs, and I have read through them all! I am really interested in these at the moment and have a few questions, if I had the dough I'd just experiment with all of them, however...! The RTM seems like the king here, but I am curious about the Super V as well, which is reportedly something in this vein as well. Then there are a couple of others out there, Dimarzio's AT1 is supposedly inspired by the idea of a JB type pup with either an A2 magnet or a 250k pot, and considering that the Tone Zone came out of Dimarzio's attempts to replicate EVH's famous broken JB and the fact that their "air technology" was developed to mimic the character of an A2 magnet, the Air Zone (aired Tone Zone) and Air Norton might be considered in this group as well.
    . This makes me wonder if anyone out there has tried an A2 magnet in a Tone Zone? Norton? If so were they at all close to the "aired" versions of these pickups? Larry D seems very resistant to the idea of using Alnico 2 for some weird reason (oddly he does sell an A4 set now however!), so I am curious how close Air "tech" comes to the character of an actual A2 magnet. Which brings me to another question, have any of you ever tried "airing" a JB?

I should just buck up for the RTM, I'd want the Custom Shop to make it look like a Pegasus, matte bobbins and such, but I am curious...then there is the Pariah Patina, which looks like an inspired by of the original Holdsworth, JB type with A2 and double screws, anyone tried that one by chance?

Thanks!
    ​​​​​​

Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
    Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
    Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
    Laney, Peavey, Marshall...
Working...
X