A "reverse treble bleed mod"- ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "reverse treble bleed mod"- ?!

...I often feel like; when reducing the volume of the guitar; I want even more highs cut/removed from my tone.

I read about "treble bleed mods"; who do the opposite; i.e. keep the sound bright(er) when turning down the volume.

...how can I easily achieve this opposite effect, where turning down the volume, makes the sound even more melllow and "darker"?

thanks,

-E
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Try a 1 Meg ohm volume pot.

Also be sure to use a 20' or longer cable.
    Last edited by Teleplayer; 08-16-2022, 02:56 PM.

Comment

a 1 meg pot will be brighter when full up than a 500k pot so not sure about that suggestion. longer cables do tend to have more capacitance and roll off a touch of high end but that shouldnt change much as you roll the volume down

Comment

Don't use any buffers between you and the amp, and a 100 ft cable.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          a 1 meg pot will be brighter when full up than a 500k pot so not sure about that suggestion. longer cables do tend to have more capacitance and roll off a touch of high end but that shouldnt change much as you roll the volume down
          Increased brightness at max volume will accentuate the effect. I'm assuming the guitar has a tone control.

Comment

I would just pick closer to the neck. A treble bleed works by letting a certain amount of high end to bypass the volume pot. This works because caps block low frequencies better than high frequencies (which is why they are often used to block DC signals). There isn't really an easy way to do the opposite though and let lower frequencies bypass the volume control

Comment

You could also install a .001 uf cap between the center lug of the volume and ground. That will cause the volume control to do double-duty as volume and subtle tone.

Although, I must admit, you're the first person I've ever heard of wanting to this. But that's ok.

Comment

Make sure you have your controls wired for "modern tone", not "50s or Vintage tone".
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Swap out the cap on the tone control to something else
                  JC
                  -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                  -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                  -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                  -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                  -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                  -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Buy a 1990's Epiphone Les Paul. They did that pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      a 1 meg pot will be brighter when full up than a 500k pot so not sure about that suggestion.
                      If I can share a thought: the idea might be related to the fact that a 1M pot puts more resistance between pickup and output than a pot of lower value. So it's brighter full up but darker once lowered. AFAIK, that's one of the reason why tradition sticks to 250k pots with single coils instead of favouring 500k + added resistors like Bill Lawrence did. :-)

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Erlend_G :

Mount a 1M volume. If it's too bright full up, just solder a resistor between its external lugs (1M if you want the equivalent of a 500k control full up, 330k if you want the same thing than a 250k pot in the same case). It should do what you want. :-)

EDIT - 5Spice sims of what I say with a Fender style SC...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SC1MvolVs250k.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	6191043
                        Last edited by freefrog; 08-16-2022, 10:30 PM.
                        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Look at the Fender TBX Tone Control.
                          Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                          Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                          Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                          Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                            You could also install a .001 uf cap between the center lug of the volume and ground. That will cause the volume control to do double-duty as volume and subtle tone.

Although, I must admit, you're the first person I've ever heard of wanting to this. But that's ok.
                            Is that what's going on with these EBO diagrams? https://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB0_circuit.php

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                              Is that what's going on with these EBO diagrams?
                              Close, but not exactly. By placing the extra cap across the outside lugs, it's a preset roll-off. By doing the wiper and ground, the roll-off follows the position of the volume pot.

Edit: Mind you, this is somewhat theoretical since I've never tried either one.

Comment

Working...
                              X