No announcement yet.

Throw some wiring ideas my way, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throw some wiring ideas my way, please!

I've finally found the right pickup for my Squier Esquire, as you know. But I'd like to change the volume knob for a 500K one (maybe even 1Meg?) because it's a bit too dark and dull in the attack.

Since I'm doing this, I might as well play a little with the wiring. When I installed the Hot Rails, I messed up the wiring, and had to wire it to a single 250K volume, and then to the jack. No biggie. But I do kinda miss what the 3 position switch did for the options of a 1-pickup guitar.

I did, however, think that the last position of the switch (highs severely rolled off) was not particularly useful at all. Plus I'd want to play more with perhaps coil splitting and series/parallel rather than rolled-off tone settings. I'm pretty sure I don't want a tone knob. I don't like what it does, especially on a dark high-output humbucker.

So what can I do with a 3-way switch and a single volume control? I can add a push-pull volume control, mind you, so there's that as well.

Ideas? Suggestions?

So, you have a Tele Hot Rails? If that's correct, I'd simply do the 3-way with series/parallel/split. Three good useful tones. Simple wiring.

Comment

Yes, I have a Tele Hot Rails, and yes, I'd definitely want a coil split option. What does parallel do to the sound?

And any idea where I can find a diagram for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        Yes, I have a Tele Hot Rails, and yes, I'd definitely want a coil split option. What does parallel do to the sound?

And any idea where I can find a diagram for that?
        Parallel is very close to split, but remains humbucking. Also, slightly more harmonically rich due to picking up two different string nodes.

You can find the diagram here, in the morning, after coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Parallel is very close to split, but remains humbucking. Also, slightly more harmonically rich due to picking up two different string nodes.

You can find the diagram here, in the morning, after coffee.
          Please do!

Comment

Actually, that's a standard Duncan diagram.

Comment

So what other pickups do you have in the guitar?

Comment

If it is a true Esquire, it only has a bridge pickup.
                I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Throw in a push-pull for a complete tone bypass or tone and volume bypass?

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                    Throw in a push-pull for a complete tone bypass or tone and volume bypass?
                    That could be cool. Or, since a Hot Rails isn't all that great split, then maybe:

3. parallel
                    2. series
                    1. series with no tone and/or volume

Comment

i dont mind the hr split actually, i do like parallel better though

Comment

That could be cool. Or, since a Hot Rails isn't all that great split, then maybe:

3. parallel
                        2. series
                        1. series with no tone and/or volume
                        This actually sounds like a great idea!
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          i dont mind the hr split actually, i do like parallel better though
                          I may be confusing the HR with the Lil 59. I recall one wasn't very good split.

Edit: Or I didn't care for it.
                          Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-17-2022, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            This actually sounds like a great idea!
                            Unfortunately, I don't see any way to do this with a standard 3-way. You'd need the 3-way superswitch that you found.

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't see any way to do this with a standard 3-way. You'd need the 3-way superswitch that you found.
                              And that wasn't easy to find!
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X