Help how to connect pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help how to connect pickups

Hi, can anyone help me how to connect 2 humbuckers?
    Setup on guitar: 2 x bucker, 5-way switch, 1 vol, 1 tone.

The parts i have:
    Neck pickup: Seymour Duncan SJBJ-1N BLK(singlecoil size HB)
    Bridge pickup: Seymour Duncan TB-4 BLK
    Capacitor: TAD Cap Orange Drop 22nF 600V
    5-way switch ibanez style(import style?)
    Pots 2 x 500k

I want this configuration:
    1. Full bridge bucker
    2. North? coil of bridge bucker(single coil split)
    3. South coil of bridge bucker + north coil of neck bucker??(hum canceling?)
    4. North? coil of neck bucker(single coil split)
    5. Full neck bucker

I found a post here where i read that I need a 5 way super-switch? So i need to order that typ switch?

I thought I could use a drawings I found but it didn't work....(ibanez translated to Duncan wire colors)

So, I would be very thankful any one help me with a drawing how to connect it?

You might look into the Schaller Megaswitch. I think one of those (maybe the 'M' model?) can do what you want without needing a custom wiring diagram.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

We'd need the stock number off the side of the import switch to figure out what kind it is. They have a circuit board that routes the lugs in specific ways. There are a couple different import switches and some of them are designed to work with a particular set of pickups and get particular coil/pickup combinations. But knowing which one it is, we could figure out if what you want is possible by changing the wires around.

Just a sanity check: both your Duncans are 4 conductor, correct?

Also, you might consider something other than splitting the humbucking single for one of the positions. I haven't tried it personally, but I keep hearing repeatedly that it's not the most usable/valuable sound.

Comment

Originally posted by jon.hoff View Post
        I found a post here where i read that I need a 5 way super-switch? So i need to order that type switch?
        For what you want to do, the Superswitch would definitely be your friend. It will allow you to do exactly what you want, OR accommodate any of our suggestions.

For example, with a Superswitch and 2 humbuckers, I like:

1. Bridge humbucker (series)
        2. Bridge humbucker (Parallel. Single-coil-ish tone, but remains noiseless.)
        3. Bridge stud with Neck screw, in series. (Virtual middle humbucker.)
        4. Same as #3 but in parallel. (Quasi Strat quack tone.)
        5. Neck humbucker (series)

Everything is possible, (and relatively easy), with the Superswitch.

Comment

Hi,
          This is the wiring diagram I tried and it didn't work, or i did something wrong? some positions sounded the same and one was dead.

Both pickups have this wires: Bare, red, green, black, white.
          This is the switch i have: https://www.thomann.de/se/goeldo_el5pl.htm

I Think I wold be happy if it was the same as my Ibanez RG(320fa)
          It’s the same pickup selections as this: https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/d...exz_1p_01.html
          I have a Duncan custom trembucker in bridge on the RG and works.

My think Ibanez RG has the same type of 5 way Switch. So Is it possible wiring the same way?

Am open for other options as long as position 1 is full bridge hb and 5 is full neck hb. I something can work with parts I have.

Comment

Hi, now i have translate how my Ibanez RG is connected to Duncan colours.
            From this list: https://madhatterguitarproducts.com/...ets-references

I made a drawing, Will this work?

Comment

I tried as my drawing this now and it doesn't work. I also tried change place on black and green the neck pickup but it doesn't work.
              bridge to neck on the switch:
              1 full bridge hb
              2 dead
              3 full bridge hb + one coil from neck pickup.
              4 both coils on both pickups.
              5 I think it's one coil on neck but almost dead.

But the volume and tone controls seems to work as they should.

Whats wrong?

Comment

Your diagram will not work. You seem to be treating the outside lugs like they are common. It's the inside lugs that are common on a standard Alpha 5 -way.

The switch you have translates like this:

8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 - your numbering
                3 2 1 C C 3 2 1 - actual switch positions/connections

C = common, as you move the switch, all the numbers will connect to this lug 1-2 at a time
                1 = bridge position
                2 = middle setting
                3 = neck position

The switch has two independent sides. For example, if you connect a wire to a 3 lug it's only going to connect to the C on it's own side of the switch. The other half of the switch won't do anything until you wire it, separately.

Try reading this, if it explains it better.
                And now onward to demystify the not so complex world of all those connection points on the bottom of 5 way import lever switches. Be warned not a lot of tech speak used.

You can even see the connections on the circuit board:
                Last edited by beaubrummels; 08-22-2022, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I know followed this: https://www.jemsite.com/threads/a-ne...iagram.167243/

It doesn't work. Did i read the drawing wrong?

This is how I have connected it now:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X