Thinking of installing a Custom Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of installing a Custom Custom

I put a Custom 5 in the bridge of my Korina Explorer and it sounds good but what I noticed about it especially when playing lead on the treble strings is the sound is a little "hard". I would like to soften up the hardness a little.

So I'm thinking of putting in a Custom Custom and trying that since it is advertised as having a more buttery sound. I just hope the bass strings don't get overly spongy.

Do you think if I installed a JB or a Screamin' Demon in the bridge the treble strings would not sound "hard"?
    Last edited by Napthol; 08-22-2022, 12:49 AM.

Well of course as always it's quite subjective, but one of the things I love about the Custom Custom is that I don't find it causes the low end to get too spongy or muddled. Again though this can depend quite a bit on the guitar it's being installed in too. I've used a Custom Custom in a Korina wood guitar before (not an Explorer unfortunately) and I thought it balanced out pretty nicely. Especially if you find the A5 is providing you with a harsher treble for leads then I think the Custom Custom is a really good option potentially since it's a hotter output than a lot of other A2 pickups but will give that sweeter treble response. Custom Custom is one of my favorite bridge pickups for lead tones so I guess I'm a bit biased.

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
      I put a Custom 5 in the bridge of my Korina Explorer and it sounds good but what I noticed about it especially when playing lead on the treble strings is the sound is a little "hard". I would like to soften up the hardness a little.

So I'm thinking of putting in a Custom Custom and trying that since it is advertised as having a more buttery sound. I just hope the bass strings don't get overly spongy.

Do you think if I installed a JB or a Screamin' Demon in the bridge the treble strings would not sound "hard"?
      It will be buttery, as in soft spread margarin. Perhaps too soft/fat
      The bass will be spongy. Most people think it is overly spongy.

I think you are being overly optimistic about how this will turn out. I haven't heard of a CC in that big Explorer slab of wood. Is this a real Korina/Limba guitar or is it laminate etc.???

The CC is a particular pickup. There are things you can do to enhance the treble response and tighten the bass, but it gets excessive. I will suggest we spend a little more time to hone in on the real tonal issues here and get the right pickup.

How hot do you need this pickup to be?
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

You also have 3 other options for mags besides A2 that will knock off some hardness - A3, UOA5, and A6.

If you want to knock off some hardness but don't want chewy bass, go for A6. If some chewyness is ok but you don't want as much as A2 then go for A3 or UOA5.

Buying a new pickup isn't necessary if you mostly like the C5 - just change the mag.

The C5, CC, and Custom are the same pickup only with A5, A2, and ceramic respectively.
        Last edited by Clint 55; 08-22-2022, 05:59 AM.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Spend a few $$ and swap out the magnet in the Custom, and you have a CC. Certainly worth trying, and I really think it will solve the issue you are having. Swapping magnets is easy, and there are several tutorials online.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It said Korina 58 Explorer. So I assume it is Korina. A medium output pickup is fine. I have swapped out magnets before so I know how to do it, but in this case I wanted to order a separate pickup so I did because I wanted to keep my Custom 5 the way it is in the box.

I did run an Alnico II Pro in a Les Paul Standard that I used in the last band I played in and I liked my tone for the most part. But in the neck the Alnico II Pro got too warm and overly bassy.

Comment

If you just want to soften the treble, I'd just put a UOA5 or perhaps A4 in. Custom Custom will change multiple characteristics at once.

Comment

i tend to agree. i love the cc, but its pretty different than the c5. the first ccc (what we called the c5 before it was a thing) was a custom i put an a5 in, at the time i wasnt savvy to uoa5 or the subtle difference a rc vs polished mag made. im pretty sure the magnet i put it was a rc uoa5, but i loved that pup in the sg i had it in. i think the uoa5 or a4 suggestion is a good one to start with. mags are cheap, so grab a few and swap away!

Comment

What does UOA5 stand for? Never heard of this magnet.

Or does it stand for unoriented alnico 5?

So it doesn't have a north or south edge?

It doesn't matter how you put the magnet in?

Comment

yes, oua5 is unorientated alnico 5. it does matter how you put it in, you want to put it in the same way as the one you are replacing. it does have north and south poles like any other magnet. unoriented mags are isotropic magnets

Anisotropic materials have magnetic properties that are dependent on their magnetization direction but the magnetism of Isotropic materials are independent of direction.

Comment

UOA5 also has a different tonal character than either A2 or A5. It's kind of a cross between the two.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

UA5 is my favorite swap for bridge pickups. Chewier than A5 and a bit less immediate in the attack, but it has much firmer bass than A2.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I'm going to try the Custom Custom first. Today I ordered an A3, A4, and an UOA5 from Philadelphia Luthiers. I will post my results when I play the Custom Custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post

I would just go to a lower value pot to take the edge off

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                              UA5 is my favorite swap for bridge pickups. Chewier than A5 and a bit less immediate in the attack, but it has much firmer bass than A2.
                              I put one in a JB in a neck thru mahogony superstrat. I love it there. Oh yeah, bridge position paired with an A4 59n in the neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X