Full Shred Questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Shred Questions!

Hello. I just put a Full Shred set in one of my guitars. Step 1 was getting them working as normal humbuckers so I wired them the usual way. Green/Bare to ground, Black to pickup switch, White/Red joined and isolated. This resulted in the neck pickup working fine, but the bridge had very low output, like its coils were out of phase with each other. After some experimentation, I found that swapping the black and white wires got it sounding correct. Is that normal for a Full Shred bridge pickup?

Step 2, implementing inner/humbucker/outer using a DPDT On/Off/On switch. It was my understanding that the neck and bridge models typically have the coil order reversed so that they're wired the same way on their respective poles of the switch, i.e short to ground on one switch position and short to hot on the other position, for both pickups. But again, this didn't work out as planned and I ended up with top coils/humbucker/bottom coils. I had to reverse the leads on the bridge pickup side to get working right. Is this an error in my understanding? Or maybe pickups that don't have slugs/screws are different?

Thanks!

welcome to the forum!

no, that is not normal. probably just human error at the shop, but an easy enough fix. glad you got it working!!

stud and screw coils should be the same polarity/wiring (minus your flip above) so when you ground the series link on either neck or bridge youd get the same coil active

Comment

Well, I think I have it working. The neck and bridge sound fine by themselves but I haven't yet convinced myself that the middle position isn't out of phase. May need to swap the green and "black" on the bridge pickup.

Comment

Working...
      X