banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD STL-1 Vintage 54; can pole piece be lowered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD STL-1 Vintage 54; can pole piece be lowered?

I bought a new guitar that came with an stl-1 bridge as factory spec. The d string pole piece is very high while the neck radius is a rather flat14 inch. I play finger style and the d string is very loud. I adjusted pickup height and to a certain extent you can adjust your playing, but it didn't really solve the issue of the loud d string and that is a pitty on a ew guitar.

??? Can I somehow lower that pole piece ???

Is there another solution? Adjusting equalisers and so is not a workable solution .

Thanx for your help

Welcome to the forum!

Some people report success just pressing it down, but you might break the coil if you do that. So I never recommend it. If the balance isn't right, you might just need something with flat poles or rail.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

you risk breaking the coil and killing the pup by pushing the pole piece down s dave said. i wouldnt do it

Comment

I was about to tell you same: risky, possibly break your coil and so on.
        But i tell you, you can‘t do it. You have a Tele bridge pickup and can‘t physically push any pole piece since you have a baseplate.

Sell the pickup and buy a flat poled one like a Five-Two or a Broadcaster.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

welp! thats the answer right there. durp. even if you wanted to risk it, you cant cause theres a base plate in the way. apparently not having any coffee this morning was a poor plan

Comment

Thank you so much for all the replies and confirming the base plate is in the way. Since the pick up is like the guitar brand new, I am not going to take any risks tinkering with it and possibly breaking it. Yesterday I played it through a Vox stompbox and the pickup up sounded great, but because I adjusted it with the treble side way down to get the d pole lower , it was too bass heavy, but it definitely showed the potential of this pickup. Shame about the very high d pole piece in a guitar with a 14 inch radius, not from this era; I would love this pickup with flat pole pieces.

Comment

You can order an STL-1 with flat poles through their Shop Floor Custom program, available through any SD Dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                You can order an STL-1 with flat poles through their Shop Floor Custom program, available through any SD Dealer.
                Thanx for the idea, I will look around for alternative pickups / brands since now I unfortunately will have to remove the pickups from a one week old guitar.

Comment

The good news is that if you sell the current pickup, it will pay for most of the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    The good news is that if you sell the current pickup, it will pay for most of the new one.
                    Thanx, hope that works out, because I didn't get many reactions so far on the local Craig's list, but these things take time.

Comment

Working...
                    X