banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove tone from Tele neck using a switch craft 3 way toggle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys! You have been very helpful! I’m ok with the tone being active in the middle pos, so just wiring the current setup is going to work for me.

Comment

I think you’ve pretty much got the idea. Even if you don’t plan to build pedals, I think you would benefit from an electronics or small electrics course. It’s very useful alongside just having the confidence to dive in there with a soldering iron. I’ve made plenty of small mistakes, learning on the job once I figured it out before I learned more about electronics, but it sure was satisfying when I plugged in the guitar and it finally gave out full signal hooked up properly.

I pretty much became the guy all my guitarist friends in the music scene would come to when they wanted their upgraded pickups installed, as the professional electronics services had a tendency to try to take advantage by overcharging kids for what takes literally a minute, especially when it’s already mounted. Best of luck, let us know when you’ve got it working!
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I think things have gotten a little muddy. This should be very simple. Follow this diagram for the bridge pup, except...instead of the output from the vol going to the jack, send it to a lug on the 3-way toggle switch. The neck pup hot wire goes to the other lug on the 3-way. The output from the 3-way goes to the jack.

Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          I think things have gotten a little muddy. This should be very simple. Follow this diagram for the bridge pup, except...instead of the output from the vol going to the jack, send it to a lug on the 3-way toggle switch. The neck pup hot wire goes to the other lug on the 3-way. The output from the 3-way goes to the jack.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...s/1H_1V_1T.jpg
          So the neck won't be affected by the volume?

Comment

Ooops. Good catch. I guess I muddied it up a bit. I was so tired when I posted that, I wasn't thinking.

So, here's the basic diagram to follow.

But if you want the tone pot only on the bridge pup, just run a wire from the 3-way (where the bridge pup is connected) to the input lug of a tone pot. Put a cap on the tone pot as usual. This puts the tone pot in parallel with the bridge pup but it is not connected to the neck pup.

Sorry about the confusion. We all make mistakes.

Comment

Sup gang. So I tweaked the wiring and it works perfectly, and was actually really simple. I just disconnected the tone wire, and then joined the tone to the lug on the switch with the bridge hot. Done!

Comment

Perfect

Comment

Working...
                X