Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker suggestions for alder

Hey everyone,

I've been looking for a good pickup to try out in my alder tele. I love all different types of music, but mainly stay in the vein of hard rock, heavy funk, some edge of breakup tones, and a sprinkle of metal as well. Tuning mainly down to drop C#. Think tones like AIC, Deftones, 311, RHCP, Project 86, POD, Chevelle, Tool, etc. I've had a JB in the past, but didn't get along with it (could've been the guitar it was in). I've also had the SH5 Custom and loved that pickup especially for hard rock tones. In the past I've also tried in mahogany the D Activator, but that was too hot for my tastes and a bit too bright. Also tried the Crunchlab and didn't really get along with that one in particular. Here are the pickups I've been thinking about trying, but don't really have experience with them in alder, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid
    Duncan Custom
    Duncan JB (might be willing to try this again)
    Dimarzio Tone Zone
    Dimarzio Dominion
    Dimarzio Super Distortion

From this list I think I've been leaning towards the Custom or the 59/Custom. What do you guys think for alder w/maple neck and rosewood fretboard? Many thanks in advance!

What's your amp/pedal setup like? If you're amp can't pull of those tones, two spools of wire and a magnet ain't gonna make it happen.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Constantly amazed why people thing a piece of wood is going to affect an electromagnetic, reactive, circuit, set differently, strings strummed by different people using different devices with different techniques, playing different kinds of music, into different pedals and amplifiers with different settings, listened to by different ears in different rooms...

Comment

I'd choose a Hybrid or a full Custom (if you want louder and brighter). I don't think a JB would do it. But alder is a pretty 'taste like chicken' wood, that doesn't impart a whole lot on the resulting tone.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          What's your amp/pedal setup like? If you're amp can't pull of those tones, two spools of wire and a magnet ain't gonna make it happen.
          At the moment I’m using either my Axe Fx 3 rig or my Helix for live and recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I'd choose a Hybrid or a full Custom (if you want louder and brighter). I don't think a JB would do it. But alder is a pretty 'taste like chicken' wood, that doesn't impart a whole lot on the resulting tone.
            Many thanks for the response! I’ve been leaning towards those but again don’t have experience with those in alder.

Comment

If you know you like the Custom and you're not trying to avoid it for any reason (like already having it in several guitars), that's an easy pick.

Add parallel or split options into your wiring if you can to help with the funk.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Coryd View Post

At the moment I’m using either my Axe Fx 3 rig or my Helix for live and recording.
                Boy I'd think between the two of those you can find what you're looking for with no pickup swap. But a staple like the Custom would probably be a good choice.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Wire in a treble bleed or 50s wiring and then work your volume knob to get funkier tones. IMO humbuckers should never remain at 10 on your guitar volume, even low output humbuckers. Run it at 7-8 for thinner tones and then crank to 10 for fuller tones.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
                    If you know you like the Custom and you're not trying to avoid it for any reason (like already having it in several guitars), that's an easy pick.

Add parallel or split options into your wiring if you can to help with the funk.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
                    Many thanks! I do like that pickup. I’m just somewhat torn between that and the 59/custom. I’m just curious if the 59/custom can bring the heavy tones if needed. I know the custom can.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

Boy I'd think between the two of those you can find what you're looking for with no pickup swap. But a staple like the Custom would probably be a good choice.
                      They are both excellent amps. I’m actually probably going to sell my axe 3 though. It is excellent but I just create tones I’m happy with quicker on the helix.

Comment

They Hybrid can do heavy tones, but if it isn't heavy enough, just boost it somewhere else down the chain. It is a more dynamic pickup than the higher output choices, though.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          They Hybrid can do heavy tones, but if it isn't heavy enough, just boost it somewhere else down the chain. It is a more dynamic pickup than the higher output choices, though.
                          Many thanks again for the input! Just need to decide between these two I think.

Comment

You can also swap an A8 magnet into the hybrid if you need more juice. It's a great pickup and switching around A2, A5 and A8 magnets allow you to tweak it as desired.

Comment

Originally posted by piblock View Post
                              You can also swap an A8 magnet into the hybrid if you need more juice. It's a great pickup and switching around A2, A5 and A8 magnets allow you to tweak it as desired.
                              Ill definitely keep this in mind if I’m wanting to switch it up a bit!

Comment

Working...
                              X