No announcement yet.

Active pickups for baritone guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DeadandBuried , thanks. The AHB-3s are in an import Jackson Kelly KE3 crimson swirl, 25.5", bolt on, Floyd Rose, 24 frets.

My stuff has a lot of post production though so take it for what it's worth.

The amp sim was Pod Farm 2.5 with a Marshall JCM800 boosted with a Tube Screamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
      Ultimately you can't go wrong with either. I'd say find whatever you can used and go with that, keeping in mind that the mods to the EMGs will always increase your costs even though EMGs aren't hard to find. After EMGs, you'll find Blackouts, with the AHB-1s being more common than the AHB-3s.
      Yeah right now I'm leaning towards the AHB-3's, but won't discount the EMG81's.

I really like this guy's tone and I believe he uses the AHB-3's on a baritone guitar.

I think he also uses a Peavey style amp with a tubescreamer. His chugs are nice and chunky and tight.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post

Yeah right now I'm leaning towards the AHB-3's, but won't discount the EMG81's.

I really like this guy's tone and I believe he uses the AHB-3's on a baritone guitar.

I think he also uses a Peavey style amp with a tubescreamer. His chugs are nice and chunky and tight.
        DeadandBuried , based on that clip, I think an EMG81 through a Peavey 5150 will get you that sound. I hear a lot of harsh saturation in the upper mids that sounds like a 5150 to me. The lows are nice and might be a bit much for an 81 but maybe not an 85. Or you could mod the EMGs to run in 18 volts (or an EMG X which is the same) or go with the 24 volt mod.

AHB-1 Blackouts will get you a bigger chug. AHB-3s will get you a tighter chug.

It's hard to recommend pickups without doing trial and error yourself. I'd try finding EMG 81s and Blackouts on the used market first and then going from there for the rarer varieties like the AHB-3s. I'd only buy new if it were a really hard to find pickup like a Dino Cazares model.

Comment

I have a standard Blackouts set in my warmoth and they sound killer!

I play in standard tuning only, so dont have experience with them for drop tuning, but they sound spectacular for my use. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_131129_FB_IMG_1553778689895_Original.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	6198737

Comment

Blackouts are great in any tuning, as long as the gain level is high.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I eventually bought the guitar they're going in lol. An Ibanez RGD61ala, 26.5" scale. It comes stock with Fishman's, The Fluence Modern's I believe. Not had much time to play it properly but the tone is quite good, tight and chunky in active mode. Again, not had the guitar long but will give it a month or so. Playing in drop a# and a tuning. Using my Kemper Profiler, with the 5150 with an OD808 profile.

I think I need to put a new nut on there too as its the plastic one so if I do that I may throw the AHB-3's in or something. Its my first time using actives so just getting the basic feel of the pickup.

Comment

[QUOTE=DeadandBuried;n6198832]I eventually bought the guitar they're going in lol. An Ibanez RGD61ala, 26.5" scale. It comes stock with Fishman's."

Epiphone has some cool looking Explorers (Futura? Extura?) coming stock with Fishmans right now.

They're super clean and sterile and make an EMG 81 sound almost like a passive pickup. The closest thing I can think of to Fishmans might be Lace Alumitones. They're known for being clean and flat sounding too.

But before you think I'm just saying get the Fishmans, check out this clip. I think the Duncan Custom wins, but they all sound good.

Ultimately you can't go wrong with any of them. You'll get a better deal if you get a guitar with whatever you want pre-installed.

Comment

Sorry I think I meant this one. The Custom is at the time stamp:

Here the Custom is a lot like what I said the Gibson 498t was in the Gibson Dirty Fingers thread--just very balanced. You might want to try the Custom.

Comment

Yeah the Ibanez comes with the Fishman's already installed so I save myself a few hundred quid buying a set and installing them! But had a quick go yesterday and they're good, I like them.

I feel I will need a brighter higher end pickup though as the guitar is pretty dark and I'll want to bring out the low notes. I will stay with actives as I said before, I want one guitar with them in and this guitar is all wired for them to easy to swap for EMG's or Blackouts if I wanted.

Comment

DeadandBuried , I think for metal pickups it doesn't get brighter, tighter, or more clinical than the Fishman Fluences on the modern setting right now. And you get the option of the vintage mode to soften it a bit if needed.

Certainly you can try them out in your Ibby. If you don't like them you can sell the Fishmans and probably make enough to buy EMGs or Blackouts used with a small bit left over.

Comment

Yeah, I think the Fluence Modern Ceramic does the 81 thing better than the 81 itself. It's pretty close, just a little bit tighter, and with better string separation.

Their passive mode is pretty cool too. Kinda like a lower-powered X2N. Somewhat.

Blackouts are looser and just overall more over-the-top. I honestly think they're their own thing, and not really all that close to EMG's. At least the original AHB-1's, which are the only I've tried.
                        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-29-2022, 01:56 PM.

Comment

(too) late to the game.
                          the AHB-1 already very big on bass and low mids in standard tubing.
                          wouldn’t use them for lower than dropped D.
                          the AHB-3s are much tighter!

more explorer pron:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wow! That Explorer looks mean AF with those pickups!
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
                              DeadandBuried , I think for metal pickups it doesn't get brighter, tighter, or more clinical than the Fishman Fluences on the modern setting right now. And you get the option of the vintage mode to soften it a bit if needed.

Certainly you can try them out in your Ibby. If you don't like them you can sell the Fishmans and probably make enough to buy EMGs or Blackouts used with a small bit left over.
                              I've been told that the Fishman's are like the mix of EMG's and Blackouts lol. Like I said I will give them a good go for a month and see what I think before changing anything. And yes I can certainly sell them and get a good price if I decide to get the Blackouts.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                                (too) late to the game.
                                the AHB-1 already very big on bass and low mids in standard tubing.
                                wouldn’t use them for lower than dropped D.
                                the AHB-3s are much tighter!

more explorer pron:
                                Yeah I don't want too much boomy bass, esp when tuning that low. It needs to be tight on the chugs and cut.

Nice guitar by the way, are those the AHB-3's? What tuning is it in?

Comment

Working...
                                X