Need help identifying SD pickups on an old epi Les Paul Prophecy model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying SD pickups on an old epi Les Paul Prophecy model

I've seen a few of these dark red Les Paul Prophecys floating around with Seymour Duncan pickups, but the descriptions and Google is not giving any info on what model SD pickups they are.

Usually the Procphecys of this color have Gibson Dirty Fingers as stock pickups. At first I thought the owner had installed the SD pickups, but after seeing a few listings with SD pickups, I'm starting to think the ones with the rectangle inlays came with SD pickups stock.

One was on GuitarCenter.com, but now it's unlisted because I ordered it and then cancelled after zooming in and seeing they didn't have the usual Gibson Pickups. I might be interested in buying one if I can find out what model SD pickups these are?

Here is an Ebay listing of said guitar:

Welcome to the site

That would be really hard to figure out what pickups those are without seeing the label on the back. You could always message the seller and ask what pickups are installed. It claims to be get you both vintage and modern tones, so could be in the Custom family.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Thank you! Unfortunately I haven't heard back from either sellers. I was hoping someone on here may be familiar with that particular LP Prophecy and know off the top of their head what pickups they are. If they are in the Custom family I would definitely pull the trigger and buy one!
      Last edited by autodidact89; 09-07-2022, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Remember those may not have come stock in the guitar and could have been installed afterwards. I have seen those w Fishman and EMGs as stock it is possible those were stock but I couldnt find anything on them
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

This particular model is pretty elusive. But I've noticed a pattern that the Prophecys of that color, AND with the square inlays, always have SD pickups, so at this point I'm pretty convinced they came in stock!

Comment

I'm not finding any stock with SDs. EX means EMGs. GX means Gibson pickups. Older GX models seem to have Dirty Fingers. Newer GX models seem to have 498T / 490R. To figure out what is in that guitar, the owner would need to lift the pickups out and look at the sticker on the back.

Comment

Yes, asking for clarification like that should be a standard thing...most buyers would want to know, anyway.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Definitely, the seller should let you know what pups are in it, especially since they most likely are not the stock pups. That is crucial information...one of the most important parts of a guitar is the pups. Just saying, "vintage and modern humbucker tones", is meaningless since there are at least 100 SD pup combinations that could claim that.

Do like he says and message him thru E-bay. (If he is unwilling to give you that important info, pass it up...you don't want to do business with him)!
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Nice axe. I don't think I'd let the "wrong" pups sway me from buying an axe I like. Especially in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Nice axe. I don't think I'd let the "wrong" pups sway me from buying an axe I like. Especially in this forum.
                    Artie, yes it is indeed nice, I have the SG model and it is superb in every respect (mine has the Dirty Fingers pups). But he's asking $540 used plus $85 shipping, at that price I'm sure he must be factoring in the cost of the SD pups. It would be nice to know what they actually are.

This isn't an in-forum sale, it's on Ebay.

Someone who is unwilling to give that important information is certainly not willing to do anything for you, especially post-sale. Plus, who knows if you can trust anything that he says, this IS EBay after all. He is NOT someone who I'd want to do business with if he won't give you all the info about what he is selling. There are many LP Prophesies for sale, this is not the only one nor is it a do-or-die situation. Anyone, not just myself, can afford to be picky buying one of these.
                    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 09-10-2022, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      Definitely, the seller should let you know what pups are in it, especially since they most likely are not the stock pups. That is crucial information...one of the most important parts of a guitar is the pups. Just saying, "vintage and modern humbucker tones", is meaningless since there are at least 100 SD pup combinations that could claim that.

Do like he says and message him thru E-bay. (If he is unwilling to give you that important info, pass it up...you don't want to do business with him)!
                      UPDATE:
                      I actually ended up here because I didn't hear back from the Ebay seller. And the Guitar Center carrying an identical guitar also with SD pickups (the reason I suspected the SD maybe have been stock) got back with me saying they're not allowed to pull the pickups out to see what model they are........ this was speaking with a technician who dissects guitars for a living.

I really like this color with the square inlays, so I may just bite the bullet and buy from one of these losers lol

Comment

Keep us updated.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by autodidact89 View Post

UPDATE:
                          I actually ended up here because I didn't hear back from the Ebay seller. And the Guitar Center carrying an identical guitar also with SD pickups (the reason I suspected the SD maybe have been stock) got back with me saying they're not allowed to pull the pickups out to see what model they are........ this was speaking with a technician who dissects guitars for a living.

I really like this color with the square inlays, so I may just bite the bullet and buy from one of these losers lol
                          Ask for another discount because you don't know what you are buying.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They could at least plug a cable into the guitar and take some multimeter readings from that. The readings wouldn’t be exact after running through all the pots and caps, but they’d be in the ballpark and let you whether you’re dealing with something closer to a set of 59s or a set of Distortions.

Comment

Originally posted by autodidact89 View Post
                              And the Guitar Center carrying an identical guitar also with SD pickups (the reason I suspected the SD maybe have been stock) got back with me saying they're not allowed to pull the pickups out to see what model they are.
                              You must realize that that's a bunch of BS. If they can't/won't tell you what pups are in the guitar ask for a $100 discount. Either $100 discount or tell you what pups are in the guitar. That's a reasonable request.

Comment

Working...
                              X