SSL1 Bridge non magnetic pole piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL1 Bridge non magnetic pole piece

I picked up a SSL1 Bridge second hand. I had plans to use it in a project guitar. Currently it's not installed yet as I'm still putting the guitar together. I was just tapping the pole pieces today and found the B string magnet has no 'pull' when touching it with a metal screw driver. All other pole pieces pull the screw driver tip towards it.

I'm quite sure this is not normal, so I'm wondering a few things:
    1) how does a pole piece lose magnetism or is it more likely I got a dud?
    2) can I replace this pole piece or do anything to save it?

Thanks in advance

If there's a Harbor Freight tools near you buy some Neodymium disks and place one on each end of the magnet and let it sit for a few weeks. This will recharge the magnet. Rare Earth Magnets - Rare Earth Magnet Set, 10 Piece (harborfreight.com)
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 09-11-2022, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Not necessary to let it sit a few weeks, it's a matter of minutes, but the way to separate the neos from the pole piece is important.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by dimmy View Post
        1) how does a pole piece lose magnetism or is it more likely I got a dud?

Alnico magnets aren't permanent. They can be damaged and lose magnetism by impact, or by having another magnet brought close to them. Easy to demagnetize them if you keep a bunch of pickups in a drawer a little too close to each other.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
          Not necessary to let it sit a few weeks, it's a matter of minutes, but the way to separate the neos from the pole piece is important.
          What is the best way to separate them?

Comment

Most people pull it with slowly apart in a vice, but anyways you must not slide it sideways. This would weaken the outer mags.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I your neo disk comes in a round translucent plastic box, you can leave it in the plastic and just stick it to the pickup that way.
              The field will still be plenty strong enough for recharging rod mags, and you'll have an easier time removing it.

Not sure it really needs saying, but keep any neo magnet far away from guitars & pickups (and other mags) at all times.
              Don't leave it anywhere near your workbench - neo can partially degauss alnico in an instant, even from six inches away.
              I keep mine stuck to the fridge.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Great info all. Thanks

Stew Mac sells 1" neo magnets. Are they too large to use?

Comment

nope. thats what i started with. now i use 3"x1" bars, either 1/4" or 1/2" thick. big isnt necessary but itll work fine

Comment

oh, just saw they have 1/2" ones as well.

Will I need to run all the pole pieces past the magnets? Or only the demagnetised one?

Comment

Working...
                    X