Something on the fringe for a 50's CV Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something on the fringe for a 50's CV Strat

Fender just had a huge sale on the Squiers. I grabbed a 50's classic vibe in sunburst. Pondering what I could do with it. EJ clone. Lipstick pickups. Gold foils? Just brainstorming here..Watcha got?

Except butchering the living jeebus out of it visually and upgrading tuners, I left my 50s cv stock.

Having said that, a sunburst with a gold anodized guard and a gold foil SSS set would look hawt as hell.

Or, ya know. Slap a Jazzmaster set in it.
    The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Originally posted by DCikes88 View Post
      . . . I left my 50s cv stock.
      Yup. At least play it a bit before you mod it. I got my CV 50's Strat with the specific plan to install Red Devil's, (which I had previously purchased.) Now that I've heard the A3 singles, I think I'm going to leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Now that I've heard the A3 singles, I think I'm going to leave it alone.
        Yup right back at ya. Those stock pups give me so much joy, I'm never messing with them in this guitar. They're stayin' put.

I might even try to get a used spare set, just in case. Or just get another cv50s around the same year, before they changed to A5s, I think.
        So maybe, if it's brand new, OPs might not have the A3 set. Regardless, living with the stock pickups for awhile is always a great tip, unless you instantly despise them or something.

However, I got the impression OP got this on a great deal specifically with the intent to go haywire with something crazy and weird.
        The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

I'm sure the pickups are great. I have that sound covered though. Looking for something else.

I wish I was on of types that that one guitar they use for everything.. I'm not but I keep trying to be

Comment

Originally posted by DCikes88 View Post

However, I got the impression OP got this on a great deal specifically with the intent to go haywire with something crazy and weird.
            Exactly how off the wall it gets is still TBD but that is the case. I am open to options I would probably not be with a more expensive piece.

Comment

Burns Tri-Sonic pickups.

Comment

I always thought lipstick pickups look better than they sound.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Swimming pool rout? Triple P90 setup, maybe.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    Burns Tri-Sonic pickups.
                    Have one!!
                    Last edited by Bill Dennis; 09-12-2022, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                      Swimming pool rout? Triple P90 setup, maybe.
                      It's not a swimming pool route but prails are an option

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        I always thought lipstick pickups look better than they sound.
                        They definitely need a little . . . help. I've also got the Vintage Vibe "Surf" Strat with the lipstick tubes. They benefit greatly from use with the SFX-01. In fact, I've got the internal version that's going to get mounted permanently into that axe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dennis View Post

It's not a swimming pool route but prails are an option
                          How about two P90s with a single in between? I think that could be a good combo.

Even a lipstick in the center, but I agree with Mincer - cool look, not a great sound.
                          Unless as a specialty tone for once in a while.

I could totally see two gold foils with a lipstick in the middle though.
                          Just not on my primary axe - maybe on one set up especially for slide playing.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Used to play with a guy who had a '62 Strat with a mini hum in center position.
                            Pretty unconventional, but many players really don't like middle Strat position much.
                            This gave him a very different option there instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

They definitely need a little . . . help. I've also got the Vintage Vibe "Surf" Strat with the lipstick tubes. They benefit greatly from use with the SFX-01. In fact, I've got the internal version that's going to get mounted permanently into that axe.
                              That's about the only way those pickups would be usable to me! I bet it will be a cool project.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X