banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SH Telecaster - '59 neck overpowering Quater Pounder in the bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH Telecaster - '59 neck overpowering Quater Pounder in the bridge?

I've been having some fun modifying a cheap Squire Telecaster to improve its voice. Since the body is routed for a humbucker at the neck, I opted to go with a quarter pounder at the bridge and a model '59 in the Neck. I've tried a couple of configurations now and it seems like whenever I try to blend the two pick-ups, the '59 just overpowers the single coil and its almost all the neck pickup.

The first configuration I tried was a simple 3-way switch with 500k tone and volume pots. After leaving that for a couple of months I swapped the 3-way switch for a 4 way and tried splitting the '59 in parallel with the quarter pounder. It still sounds good, but in both configurations still feel like all I'm hearing is the neck pickup when trying to run the two in parallel. I really like how the QP sounds, and I want to hear more of it when blending the two pickups together.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

I do have some 250k pots and some dual 250/500k pots I could try instead, or change the capacitor between the pots, (I'm pretty sure it's a 0.047uF). I'm not against taking the L and trying a different humbucker in the neck either, I just really like that quarter pounder in the bridge

Welcome to the forum.

If you run the 59 in parallel and it still sounds mostly 59, it's probably just how the 2 pickups mix. So I would suggest a 2 volume set up so you can get the mix you want. You could also split the 59 so you can get hum cancellation in middle position.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 09-14-2022, 02:17 PM.

Comment

When I owned an SH Tele, the only set that matched output-wise was a Hot Tele Stack and an A2Pro.
      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I wonder if you might hear more of the QP if you run it out of phase with the 59? Anyone? I know that out of phase with two humbuckers can sound weak. Not sure if this would be the same with a single.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
          When I owned an SH Tele, the only set that matched output-wise was a Hot Tele Stack and an A2Pro.
          Hrm, that's an interesting thought... I hadn't considered the relative output levels of the pickups, which would explain why the '59 overpowers the quarter pounder. Though the specs on the website don't list output in any kind of specific, numerical way, but I think I understand from what you're saying since the '59 show a significantly higher output bar than the quarter pounder, and somewhat higher than the Alnico II Pro. So maybe if I'm going to leave it as an SH tele, I should go back to the 3-position switch and have it wired as bridge, split neck, full next and abandon trying to blend the two, else I can try to find a lower output humbucker (or figure out a way to attenuate about 20% of the HB when trying to blend the pickups)

Something to play with the next time I have an hour to burn with a soldering iron. Thanks

Comment

You can use a spin a split to dial back the 59's output.

Comment

This is always an issue with Telecasters in the middle position. One of the pickups is going to be more prominent than the other. Try adjusting the pickup heights to compensate - that usually changes the balance. So put the bridge pickup higher and the neck pickup lower.
              -
              My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Phasing cancels all of the frequencies that the two pickups have in common. I'm thinking that a 59n and QP single in the bridge, don't have much in common frequency wise.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by csdibiase View Post

... I hadn't considered the relative output levels of the pickups, which would explain why the '59 overpowers the quarter pounder. Though the specs on the website don't list output in any kind of specific, numerical way, but I think I understand from what you're saying since the '59 show a significantly higher output bar than the quarter pounder, and somewhat higher than the Alnico II Pro. ...
                  SD did start a project to determine pickup output in mV, but they only made it through the humbuckers. It is a different method than DiMarzio utilizes, so comparisons are only valid within the SD family. The results are here:

Seymour Duncan Pickup Output Experiment

It appears the lowest output conventional humbucker is the SH-55n Seth Lover Model Nkl at 399mV. Unconventional humbucker is the the SH-3 Stag Mag (two Strat single coils) at 389mV.

If you want to consider a Mini-humbucker it is the SM-2n Custom Mini-Humbkr at 216mV.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Can you pull the 59 away from the strings a bit?
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

SD did start a project to determine pickup output in mV, but they only made it through the humbuckers. It is a different method than DiMarzio utilizes, so comparisons are only valid within the SD family. The results are here:

Seymour Duncan Pickup Output Experiment

It appears the lowest output conventional humbucker is the SH-55n Seth Lover Model Nkl at 399mV. Unconventional humbucker is the the SH-3 Stag Mag (two Strat single coils) at 389mV.

If you want to consider a Mini-humbucker it is the SM-2n Custom Mini-Humbkr at 216mV.
                      That's a cool piece of information. Thanks I'll probably try adjusting pickup height to attenuate the neck pickup but that will definitely help if I decide I need different one

Comment

I just wanted to ensure you knew output in mV was out there for the SD humbuckers. I am most definitely not advocating you buy another one. I know what it is like to have a parts shelf with 15 pickups looking for a home!
                        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I still think this is a pickup height adjustment issue. Nothing should overpower a QP.

But what do I know about Telecasters?

-
                          My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

i dont see why a 59 and qp couldnt balance output wise. adjust the qp to where you like it best, then adjust the 59n (assuming this is the 59n?) to where the output matches. the qp isnt a bright pup so you arent going to get the typical tele tone in the middle

Comment

If the 59N (yours is the neck version, right?) is still too loud after drastic height adjustments, I'd try swapping an A3 magnet into it.
                              Drops the output noticeably, and is a great voice for neck tone.

I'm a bit surprised the QP isn't standing up to the 59 already though. It's fairly muscular.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X