banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ibanez RG wiring - 5 way switch - Stucked on the 5 wires of the PA-STK-1 at middle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG wiring - 5 way switch - Stucked on the 5 wires of the PA-STK-1 at middle

I finally finished choosing (thanks to your advice) all the pickups for my Ibanez RG. I chose these three in the end:

- bridge: Parallel Axis PATB-1
    - middle - Parallel Axis Single Coil - PA-STK-1
    - neck: Sentient

Now I have a big question: I would like to connect everything on a 5-way switch but I can't find a guide on how to connect the PA-STK-1. I expected to have only two wires (according to all Seymour Duncan schematics) but instead, I ended up with 5 wires just like other pickups.

For now I followed this pattern for the Parallel Axis at the Bridge and the Sentient at the neck. For the Middle I "decided" to follow the same color scheme as used with the first two pickups since the colors were pretty much the same: the black connected on the switch, the green and grey on the volume shield, the red and the white on the pin of the switch as in the screen.. Unfortunately, however, with the switch placed at the Bridge it seems that the pickup at the Bridge plays along with the single coil!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HSH.jpg
Views:	1508
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	6196866
    Do you have any idea how I can connect this pickup (I really mean the colors and how to connect them!) to make it play ONLY on position 2 (together with the neck), position 3 (alone) and position 4 (together with the Bridge)? Please, help!

Thank you very much!

Try this. The red and white soldered together, but no connection with any part. Just tape it and tuck it away. If it's out of phase you have to reverse: the green to the switch and the black/bare to volume back.
    Last edited by hamerfan; 09-18-2022, 01:31 AM.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

For the 1st problem, it's as hamer said: green and bare to ground, red/white soldered together and taped off, black to the switch.

The other problem would only be caused by getting the "common" terminals of the switch mixed up. Not all 5-ways are created equal. In your diagram, the commons should be the upper-left (not connected), and lower-right, (yellow wire.)

Comment

Yah, AFAIK the Ibanez 5-way is not a standard switch. Shouldn't make any difference for middle pickup; you don't need to split the stack.
        Red & white soldered together and taped off as recommended above will fix your problem.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
        X