Mincer & All...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mincer & All...

Greetings~ I know that Mincer is hot on the STK-S4 hum-free Strat p/u for that authentic Strat sound in a Noiseless.. But for the Bridge, what would be the next step up in output, albeit maybe a tad darker or bolder & rounder, but still in Strat territory, & in an Alnico 5 or 4, but not so 'soft' as an Alnico 2... Many thanks....ॐ

I love the STK series also. Noiseless, and 99% Strat single-coil tone. I used STK-4's in the N/M and an STK-9 in the bridge. The 9 balances well, and doesn't have the "ice-pick-iness" that Strat and Tele bridge pups often have. The STK-9 probably deviates the most from "true" Strat bridge tone, but in a good direction.

I'd still like to try the STK-6 in the bridge, but the 4's are here to stay.

The only pups I have that rival the STK's, is the Livewire Classic II single set. Twin sons of different mothers. So close in sound that I may have to choose which one to keep. As I get older, I don't really need two Strats with the almost same sound.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 09-19-2022, 06:30 AM.

Comment

My guess is the Vintage Hot Stack Plus. It still sounds very Stratty, but has just a little more output than the STK-S4.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

thats my favorite stk set. stks4n, stks4m, stks7 bridge. its not much higher output than the stks4b but its darker and bit thicker. still sounds very stratty but i think it balances much better. the stks6 is the next step up with more output and thicker tone. the stks9 is a great lead pup but is pretty far from a typical strat tone

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          . . . the stks9 is a great lead pup but is pretty far from a typical strat tone
          You're making me question my memory. I've always had it in the back of my head, that I had an STK-6. But the box says STK-9b. I wonder if I bought this used, in the Trading Post, and someone just put the 6/7 in a 9 box?

I'm a little under the weather right now, so I'll have to do a visual check later.

Comment

i have a stks9 and i like it a lot but as someone who is used to a vintage strat pup its much higher output and way more middy, which is a good thing for many people. the stks7 is still pretty vintage stratty just a little fatter and not as sharp on the top. no one will mistake it for anything but a strat bridge pup though. i really like all the stack plus series pups

Comment

I wish Duncan would update the site. Only the "4" & "6" list the model number. I have the "9" box, so by process of elimination, I can figure out that the Vintage Hot Stack Plus is the "7". Also, the DCR numbers on the STK-4 series are messed up. If you look at each individual pup, they list as: N/M/B - 8.7k/8.6k/8.5k. (I didn't get that backwards. That's how they're listed.) Then, if you select "set", they all list as 8.5k, but the "details" says that the bridge is wound hotter.

So, they break down like this:

Plus Series (All the "Plus" series are A5 mags.)
              -----------------------------------------------------------------
              STK-4: Classic Stack Plus N/M/B = 8.7k/8.6k/8.5k (Set = 8.5k)
              STK-6: Custom Stack Plus N/M/B = 14.5k
              STK-7: Vintage Hot Stack Plus N/M/B = 11.9k
              STK-9: Hot Stack Plus Bridge = 20.3k
              Other
              Hot Stack Strat: N/M = 13k, B = 19.9k Cer
              YJM Fury Strat: N/M/B = 25.5k/25.5k/25.7k A5

It's also odd that some list "set", while others list "neck/middle/bridge."

Comment

the cs+ has individual models for n, m, b, the rest of the series are just one model but you can use it in any position you want. the hot stack and yjm are the old school stack style of pup, not the newer stack plus technology

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  I wish Duncan would update the site. Only the "4" & "6" list the model number. I have the "9" box, so by process of elimination, I can figure out that the Vintage Hot Stack Plus is the "7". Also, the DCR numbers on the STK-4 series are messed up. If you look at each individual pup, they list as: N/M/B - 8.7k/8.6k/8.5k. (I didn't get that backwards. That's how they're listed.) Then, if you select "set", they all list as 8.5k, but the "details" says that the bridge is wound hotter.

So, they break down like this:

Plus Series (All the "Plus" series are A5 mags.)
                  STK-4: Classic Stack Plus N/M/B = 8.7k/8.6k/8.5k (Set = 8.5k)
                  STK-6: Custom Stack Plus N/M/B = 14.5k
                  STK-7: Vintage Hot Stack Plus N/M/B = 11.9k
                  STK-9: Hot Stack Plus Bridge = 20.3k
                  Other
                  Hot Stack Strat: N/M = 13k, B = 19.9k Cer
                  YJM Fury Strat: N/M/B = 25.5k/25.5k/25.7k A5

It's also odd that some list "set", while others list "neck/middle/bridge."
                  Yeah, the lack of model names and the questionable search results need to be looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Yeah, the lack of model names and the questionable search results need to be looked at.
                    I wonder if we should have a sticky to report missing info, as we do to report diagrams with errors.

Comment

If someone wants to make a master list, I'll sticky it and close it.

Comment

Every time I see this thread title I see "Mincer & Ali", as in Muhammad. That's a crazy mental picture!

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                          Every time I see this thread title I see "Mincer & Ali", as in Muhammad. That's a crazy mental picture!
                          He ain't got nuthin' on me!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

He ain't got nuthin' on me!
                            Not on that shred stick he sure don't.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Not on that shred stick he sure don't.
                              Hard to play a m7b5 chords with those gloves on.

Comment

Working...
                              X