banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know how the single-coil Invader is constructed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know how the single-coil Invader is constructed?

Is this a stack? There isn't much info on the site. I wonder how they configured the magnet(s)? Seems like it would be difficult to do poles with those screws, and not much room underneath (widthwise) for a bar magnet.

The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Invader_single.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	6197409

I'm guessing it's constructed like a P90. I have an old Dimarzio OEM which is a SDS-1 with a brass baseplate and its magnets are arranged like a P90.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
      I'm guessing it's constructed like a P90. I have an old Dimarzio OEM which is a SDS-1 with a brass baseplate and its magnets are arranged like a P90.
      Ah. I think you're right. After you said that, I blew it up in my paint program, and it looks like the edge of the magnet is what I mistook for reflection. That red mark is probably for polarity so that they get the two mag's oriented correctly. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Invader_single_seg.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	6197424

Comment

It would be really cool as a Stack, though, right?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yup. I was hoping it was. Still cool, but I wish it was standard production.

Comment

You may want to try replacing the small hex heads of a SDS-1 with the larger Invader cap screws. I replaced the small hex heads with fillister screws and it sounds a lot like a P90.

Comment

Remind me, what's an SDS-1?

Comment

dimarzio pup. single coil strat size, like 9k but with two small ceramic bars and hex pole pieces. great pup, i got one in my box for when i need it. fat sounding but still single coily

Comment

Ah. Ok.

Comment

Working...
                  X