banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you pair an Alnico II pickup with an Alnico V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you pair an Alnico II pickup with an Alnico V?

Hey, I have an old Epiphone that I like to upgrade from time to time. I am wanting to put an SH-55 Seth Lover in the neck position and an SH-4 JB in the bridge. The Seth Lover has a low output Alnico II that is non-wax-potted. The JB is an Alnico V medium output wax-potted pickup. I was wondering if the stronger electromagnetic field of the Alnico V would cause any issues with the Seth Lover pickup. I suspect that it may cause some EMI (electromagnetic interference) in the weaker pickup. I use a noise suppressor on my pedal board, so I am thinking that it will control any noise issues. I like the sound of the Seth Lover when doing Gilmour style or Peter Green style of music. The pickup works great for atmospheric, psychedelic, or blues rock when pushed with distortion and tons of reverb. I currently have a set in my aforementioned Epiphone. However, the pickup does not work well for scooped thrash metal or hard rock. The JB seems to be the best all-around pickup for rock and metal, so I want to install one in the bridge. The pickups may not sound well when both are activated in the middle position, but I never used the middle position. I always used one pickup for rhythm and one for leads. Now I need a combination that handles a wide range of music; I don't feel like buying a different guitar for every genre. Will the SH-55 and JB work well without any issues?

Welcome to the forum!

You can combine them with no issues at all. The JB, of course, will be louder, and have more upper mids, but if you like that sound, its fine. I love the Seth in the neck position, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Humbuckers are not so strong that the bridge will affect the neck mechanically or magnetically, other than the sound of them when mixed by the switch. I had a JB and Seth in my Les Paul Studio for a while, but I had an Alnico 2 mag in the JB - it was a little dark on the top end but sounded great, sounded like a really loud Whole Lotta Humbucker pickup. I also had the JB/A2 with a Jazz neck which is A5 and the A2/A5 blend worked great.. An A5 bridge pickup works with A2 necks just fine. Stock Gibson 498T/490R are A5/A2, and that's the combo found in 75-80% of stock Gibsons..

Comment

Yep, no problem at all. It's not a matter of magnet interaction, just about compatible voicings.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the input. You have addressed my concerns. I really like the brightness of the Seth Lovers. They are also the most responsive pickups I have ever played. I looked at the SH-1, but I find it a little too warm for my taste. I really like the sound of the Pearly Gates, the Peter Greens, and the Seth Lovers; they really capture that vintage 1959 Les Paul tone for me. I have looked at every pickup on the market for rock and metal and the JB just seems to come closest to what I need. It can hit the glassy highs for shred and searing leads, and play some serious metal with the right amp and the right pedals. I look forward to making my next pickup purchase. I am not worried about compatible voicings because I only play one pickup at any given time: however, that is a serious concern for those who play both at once. Thank you.

Comment

Just as an FYI: Magnet strength has nothing to do with EMI. That's purely a question of the coil wind and how it's terminated. The magnet doesn't come into the equation.

Comment

What do youbgetbif you mate an elephant with a kangaroo?

Bloody great holes all over Australia

Comment

Pairing A2 and A5 is even done for matched sets, e.g. the Lollar Imperials.

Comment

I've been using an A5 '59 neck with an A2 Seth Lover bridge for a decade and a half with no problems. :P
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                  X