Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something between A5 and A2

Hi!
    I have Custom Overwound PAF pickup from my friend who builds guitar pickups.
    I tried a few magnets and I most like A5 Roughcast and A2 polished.
    A5 is great for fast heavy metal, hard rock riffs, but sometimes it's thin and trebly and without smooth.
    A2 is great for hard rock, has great warm on treble string and smooth solo and slow riffs, but low end is too floppy, I can't play fast metal riffs.
    Both is great but if I had to choose one, I would choose the A5.
    Is there a magnet that sounds between them?

There are several that share their characteristics.

On the A2 chewy side are UOA5 and A3. They're both unoriented and it makes UOA5 slightly chewier without being flabby. A3 is a step further in chewiness and it's the weakest mag.

On the tighter A5 side are A6 and A4. A4 is unoriented but is actually really tight and even. Since you want the A5 solidness but softened, I would recommend A6.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 11-18-2022, 04:29 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I haven't tried A6, but UOA5 and A4 are where I would go based on my use of them in other guitars

Comment

UOA5 is exactly what you're talking about. A4 is it's own beast. Very neutral in coloration, it just gives the flavor of the wind, but with a decent amount of power. No experience with A6. A3 can work great in the bridge, but only in a fairly thick wind. Otherwise, any standard neck pickup will overpower it. In an overly boomy neck pickup, A3 can be magic.

Comment

I concur about UA5; I think that's probably what you're looking for.
          Vintagey attack with a looser feel than A5 but deeper (and tighter) bass than A2.
          Slightly vocal midrange and nice smooth lead tones with gain.

A4 is very transparent to the voice of the guitar it's in, and to the coils of the pickup.
          Wonderful in good wood. Quite responsive to dynamics, and it really comes alive at band volume.
          Often doesn't reveal its true personality at low levels.

A6 is big and firm, but with gentler highs than A5.
          Good choice for a bright or thin sounding guitar, or when A5 is too harsh.
          Might need a moderately strong wind to be smooth; can feel a bit stiff in light winds.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I pulled some magnets from 70 ies DiMarzio PAF. I used them in some Ant buckers for the win since then. The gauss values are close to my newly bought UA5.
            Highly recommended.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

UOA5 vote here.

Had a set with that in bridge, and an A3 in the neck - goodness!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If the A5 sounds too thin, you can use an A4 magnet to get a fuller sound. IMO, A4 is the middle ground between A2 and A5.

UOA5, to me doesn't really sound different enough from regular A5, except the output is less.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG View Post
                  Hi!
                  I have Custom Overwound PAF pickup from my friend who builds guitar pickups.
                  I tried a few magnets and I most like A5 Roughcast and A2 polished.
                  A5 is great for fast heavy metal, hard rock riffs, but sometimes it's thin and trebly and without smooth.
                  A2 is great for hard rock, has great warm on treble string and smooth solo and slow riffs, but low end is too floppy, I can't play fast metal riffs.
                  Both is great but if I had to choose one, I would choose the A5.
                  Is there a magnet that sounds between them?
                  I have become a big fan of the A 4 as of late. Had a Suhr Thornbucker bridge I liked a lot and love the Saturday Night Special set I have in my Carvin AE 185.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    . In an overly boomy neck pickup, A3 can be magic.
                    Agree with this . i have a A3 in the 59 neck that's in my 95 Swamp Ash body US Washburn MG 102 and that guitar absolutely sings in the neck!
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Technically (IOW: when it comes to measurable magnetism and inductance), A4 and UOA5 appear to me as being "between" A2 and A5. As the weakest magnetically but also the most inductive, A3 is just "below" A2 in my mind . For opposite reasons (slightly less inductivity and more magnetism), A6 is just "above" A5.

That said, in such situations, I most often try several mags. Reasons: 1)a same magnet can magnify a pickup and devitalize another one. 2) magnets of a "same" alloy can affect the tone in different ways according to their size/mass, to their actual charge (knowing that every mag can be seen as unique in its repartition of magnetism once charged)... and to the foundry where they come from. Even mags from different batches can differ, in fact.

Good luck in your experiments and let us know which mag you'll have selected. :-)
                      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

My vote (?) is also for either the UOA5 or the A6.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

My vote is for A4 since I think it fits the description and I don’t have experience with UOA5.

Personally I like A2 or A3 in the neck and A5 in the bridge.

To me A6 is not in the spectrum between A2 and A5, it’s something else, you may like it or not. Here’s a test with an A2 Pro I recorded before and after flipping the magnet to A6.

Last edited by Blille; 11-22-2022, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                            To me A6 is not in the spectrum between A2 and A5, it’s something else.
                            WAT

The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

WAT
                              I don’t think the A6 is somewhere in between the A2 and A5, if you drew a line between the two, like the A4 is for example.

It’s in a different line if you will. It’s not just less mids and more volume than an A2 but less scooped and less volume than an A5. I think it’s more its own thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X