banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help Installing a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Model Humbucker!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quintaar69 View Post
    So guys.....any recommendations for the neck pickup?
    What sound/use are you looking for out of it?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yeah, what do you like in a neck pickup? What are your fav neck pickup sounds?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Jazz neck is the classic pairing for a JB bridge. In a 24-fret axe, a 59N would give you a little more fullness.

Gotta say, matte black guitar looks great with red pickguard and big black knobs!
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Usually when I play a clean/acoustic sound...I go to the neck position on the switch.

Comment

Hey eclecticsynergy...Ya know what...those knobs were actually an accident. I wanted something more than just plain black.
            I ordered them off Amazon. When I got them, they were huge. I was a bit stunned. I re-checked the listing. It said knobs for stereo equipment.
            My girlfriend was like.. "They are.... kind of badass"
            I agreed. They are so huge. They just work. Its kick ass looking. I love it.

Comment

Soldering the ground to the tone pot is fine. But it looks like it's a cold solder joint, meaning that you didn't get the back of the pot hot enough to make the solder flow onto it...it's just blumped up on it. This may lead to a poor electrical connection. You should let your iron heat up then touch it to the back of the pot and the side of the solder blump again (don't put the iron in the solder blump). If your iron is hot/powerful enough, it should cause the solder to melt and flow onto the pot. If your iron is less than 40 watts you'll have a hard time doing this without damaging the pot (you've got a lot of solder there to heat up).

As far as a neck pup, I agree that you can't get much better than the Jazz (I personally prefer the Jazz bridge model in the neck).
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

in a 22 fret guitar, i prefer the jazz neck, but in a 24 fret, the jazz bridge model in the neck can work out very well if you want a little darker/fatter tone. the sentient or 59 are other good options for a nice clear clean tone

Comment

Hey eclecticsynergy...Ya know what...those knobs were actually an accident. I wanted something more than just plain black.
                  I ordered them off Amazon. When I got them, they were huge. I was a bit stunned. I re-checked the listing. It said knobs for stereo equipment.
                  My girlfriend was like.. "They are.... kind of badass"
                  I agreed. They are so huge. They just work. Its kick ass looking. I love it.
                  I might get those for a pedal or two - turn 'em with my foot. (If there's enough room between the controls to fit 'em.)
                  Looks like they're extra tall as well as wide.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I have a 59N with an Alinco 2 magnet in it paired with my JB. That is almost the exact tone in my head Im hearing from a neck pickup.

As someone else said, the Sentient is a good pickup, somewhere between the 59N (warm tones) and JazzN (stratty kinda tone).

I also have a Black Winter neck in a guitar that I really like as well
                    Last edited by Hsb; 12-22-2022, 08:29 AM.
                    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                    Jackson Soloist 7 string
                    ESP LTD M-400
                    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      Soldering the ground to the tone pot is fine. But it looks like it's a cold solder joint, meaning that you didn't get the back of the pot hot enough to make the solder flow onto it...it's just blumped up on it. This may lead to a poor electrical connection. You should let your iron heat up then touch it to the back of the pot and the side of the solder blump again (don't put the iron in the solder blump). If your iron is hot/powerful enough, it should cause the solder to melt and flow onto the pot. If your iron is less than 40 watts you'll have a hard time doing this without damaging the pot (you've got a lot of solder there to heat up).

As far as a neck pup, I agree that you can't get much better than the Jazz (I personally prefer the Jazz bridge model in the neck).
                      Yea...my iron is 30 watts.
                      Suggestions?

Comment

This one should be more than plenty. Dont be tempted by a soldering gun, way too big. And dont think the propane pens are recommended for guitars either

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weller-SOLD...20V/5001905497
                        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                        Jackson Soloist 7 string
                        ESP LTD M-400
                        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

yes, doesnt need to be fancy to work well. i have that iron, and a bunch of others, but thats a good one

Comment

Yea...my iron is 30 watts.
                            Suggestions?
                            I always recommend a low power and a high power iron for different tasks. It's cheap and effective. The small lugs don't require a lot of heat to create a bond, plus you can burn the pot lugs with too much heat. 30 or 45 is good for those. Pot backs require a lot of heat and it takes some serious faffing to get a reasonable joint with a lil 30 wat iron. I recommend an 80 or 100 wat iron for that. Plus they really help for other tasks where you need serious heat like soldering a ground wire to the bridge.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

That Weller is a decent iron, but like all Weller products, way over priced.

I've got a large very high wattage soldering station that I've had for quite a while but I recently purchased this one for its convenient small size...

It's got twice the wattage as the Weller, an LCD display for selecting temperature, very rapid heating, and it comes with solder, flux, and 5 extra tips for $5 less than the Weller. I've used it a couple times and it is amazing. It heats up the back of a pot in in about 2-3 seconds and the solder just flows effortlessly onto it. If you want less power for the small jobs, you can adjust the temp to whatever you want. I can recommend this to anyone wanting a new iron.

With a new iron, just follow my soldering tips and you'll solder like a pro.

Comment

Oh, one other thing...

Weller uses its own type of tips so when you need to replace one or buy a different size, you need to find their tips (which are hard to find and way more expensive than the tips available for the iron I listed...those tips are very common).

Comment

Working...
                                X