• Show
Clear All

• Wiring help, please!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PKH - Wiring.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	6216368

Could one of the wiring wizards please take a look at this contraption and let me know if it would work?
    BTW - the sketch is based on one that Mr. Jack_TriPpEr did for me a couple of years ago. All Hail Jack!

For background - I have a Steinberger that I use mainly as my travel / rehearsal guitar, but the stock HSH PUs are a bit lame, so I thought I replace them with P-Rails (with Triple Shots) and a Hot Rails in the middle for all kinds of versatility.

TIA

A couple things, (mainly the Hot Rails), doesn't look quite right. To start with, did you want the HR to be reverse polarity?

Also, the HR will be "on", and split, in the #5 position. I think you want neck only in that position.

And, relative to below, reverse black and green on the Hot Rails.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-22-2023, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I think you just want this:

Name:	Arkitkt.png
Views:	153
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	6216407

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. Makes sense with the green to 5. I do want the neck only in that position.
        If I understand this correctly, the same coil from the HR is "on" in both 2 and 4 with this layout correct?
        I was trying to use the one coil in 2 and the other in 4 to make them humcancelling with the p-rails if those are switched to Rail coil only (through the triple shots).

Can that work somehow?

Re. the reversed black and green: would the 2 and 4 positions be out-of-phase the way I had it?

Comment

In this diagram, if you connect either of the red arrows to ground, you'll split to one coil. If you connect either of those to the green arrow, you'll split to the other coil. But I don't know which one will be hum-cancelling with the P-Rails coils. You just need to try one way, then the other.

And yes, you should reverse black and green on your diagram for the "normal" way a Hot Rails is wired.

Name:	Arkitkt-2.png
Views:	143
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	6216926

Comment

How about this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	PKH - Steinberger Wiring 03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	6217028

I'll try it that way and if the 2 and 4 end up not being hum-cancelling, I'll switch them around.
            Thanks for your help.

BTW, you may not remember this, but over 20 years ago ('01, I think) I was searching for a wiring diagram for the first time here and it was actually you who helped me.
            Great to see that you're still at it.

Attached Files
            Last edited by Arkitkt; 01-25-2023, 08:22 PM.

Comment

That diagram looks fine. And yup, been around a long time. We've been through at least two forum "resets." The last one reset everyone's join date to March 2004. I think I actually joined sometime in the 90's. Can't remember that far back.

Comment

All done! Of course I had the wrong coils of the HR in Pos. 2 and 4 at first, so I had to reverse that. The tiny control cavity if that guitar is a challenge. I also decided to reverse the wiring from the Neck PU to the triple shot because I didn't like the fact that it selected the coil that the switches were pushed "away" from.
                Everything is working great now. Perfect practice and travel rig!
                Thanks again for your help, Artietoo.

Name:	20230208_202327.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	6219310

Comment

Dig that guitar.
                  Take it to the limit
                  Everybody to the limit
                  Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Oh cool! I have a Steinberger ( a Synapse) and a Positive Grid Spark, too.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Oh cool! I have a Steinberger ( a Synapse) and a Positive Grid Spark, too.
                      Great. This is obviously a much cheaper guitar than the Synapse, but I still like the concept. The whole thing is so small that it fits anywhere and upper fret access is great. The original passive EMGs are uninspiring, though. That's why I wanted to try the PU swap (I'm a big fan of the P-Rails anyway). Came out great.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkitkt View Post

Great. This is obviously a much cheaper guitar than the Synapse, but I still like the concept. The whole thing is so small that it fits anywhere and upper fret access is great. The original passive EMGs are uninspiring, though. That's why I wanted to try the PU swap (I'm a big fan of the P-Rails anyway). Came out great.
                        I had P-Rails in a ZT3 that I owned, and they sounded great! In the Synapse, I have an Alnico II Pro and a 59/Custom.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                        X