Cory Wong pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cory Wong pickups

These look interesting. Alnico 5 stack for the bridge, Alnico 4 singles for middle/neck. Says all three are overwound, but doesn't indicate if the middle or neck are RWRP or not. These are the same set in his sig strat, yeah? or no?

Edit: yeah looks like it.
    Last edited by beaubrummels; 02-09-2023, 11:28 AM.

Huh. They're much thicker sounding than I would have thought he would have.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i thought they sounded great! curious to try the bridge stack

Comment

Curious, him being a funk player why they hot pickups? Would’ve assumed a more vintage spec pickup would’ve been his thing

Comment

The bridge stack looks like it might just be an STK-S6. 14.5k vs 14.54k, with both being A5.

Comment

Cool sound. I like how they're mellowed out yet still somewhat jangly. It doesn't have that raw, strident sound that the regular vintage strat pickups have.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by EC Strat View Post
              Curious, him being a funk player why they hot pickups? Would’ve assumed a more vintage spec pickup would’ve been his thing
              That's what surprised me too. Maybe he wants them a bit more naturally compressed so he doesn't need a compressor pedal?
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Maybe the fact that they are hotter makes it quite a different pickup set than what is available. He could have come out with a variation of the SSL-1 or -2, or the Surfers, but these are quite different than what was currently available.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Elmer Fudd said these are the wong pickups.

Comment

huh-huh-huh-huh-huh

Comment

they arent that hot, like 7k, but hotter than vintage for sure. seems like a great set of pups! and i do wonder if the bridge is a (tweaked?) stks6

Comment

They look super interesting and I love the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                          They look super interesting and I love the guy.
                          One of the things I love about Cory, (besides his talent, obviously), is that he doesn't go for any of the normal "guitar god" cliches. He's just like the nerdy "kid next door."

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

One of the things I love about Cory, (besides his talent, obviously), is that he doesn't go for any of the normal "guitar god" cliches. He's just like the nerdy "kid next door."
                            Exactly!

I was watching a Vulfpeck concert and I told my wife “if I had made it as a guitar player I would be like that guy”.

Love the playing but check out his moves starting 8:20 or so. Gotta love the guy. He’s a hero for all the nerdy players like me lol

Comment

He can flat out play

Comment

Working...
                              X