banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bridge pickup in series with (neck + middle in parallel)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge pickup in series with (neck + middle in parallel)?

Hello mina san!

I have a question about parallel and series wiring.
    I have a strat SHS: ssl1-neck duckbucker(in parallel)-middle hot for strat-bridge

I installed the seven sound mod on my strat (normal switching, neck and bridge in parallel and all 3 pickups in parallel, with a push/pull tone DPDT switch that connect my neck pickup to the output.

Then I added a DPDT switch on my pickguard for the "neck and bridge in series" mod. When the switch is activated I got no sound on bridge position and then neck and bridge in series on the 5th position of the 5 way switch.

Now my question is: What about the other positions on the 5 way switch? When the ''bridge and neck in series'' DPDT switch is activated and I go to position 4 on the 5 way switch: all 3 pickups are activated but do I got bridge in series with both neck and middle in parallel?
    Or do I get the middle pickup in parallel with the neck pickup in series + the bridge in series? Is it possible? How do I calculate the output or resistance of this setting?

Thank you!!

Last edited by ThomasP; 02-10-2023, 04:09 AM.

Let me do this in two parts, and a quick question. Typically, the #4 position is the neck and middle. Is that how you mean it?

I'll do the easy part first. When you switch the neck and bridge in series, the bridge essentially becomes an extension of the neck. That's why you get that "dead" position. The bridge is effectively not there anymore. Here's the way I implement a series/parallel switch to alleviate that problem.

Note here, that the N/M/B lines simple get treated as the three pup's hot wires to go on to whatever other wiring you have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	example05.png
Views:	224
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	6219509

Comment

Note also above, (since I can't edit once I've posted a pic), is that the neck/bridge in series won't be humbucking. Since you have two singles in series, it could be real noisy. You can get around this by putting your RWRP pup in the neck position. But then, the bridge/middle won't be humbucking. It's a compromise that you just have to decide which (position) is more important.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasP View Post
        Or do I get the middle pickup in parallel with the neck pickup in series + the bridge in series? Is it possible? How do I calculate the output or resistance of this setting?
        You'll have the middle pup in parallel with the neck/bridge acting like a series humbucker. (Except, it won't be humbucking.) Lets say your three pups had a DCR of 6k each. You'd have 12k in parallel with 6k for a total DCR of 4k. However, you can never use DCR to predict output when you have coils in parallel. A humbucker split has approximately the same output as a humbucker in parallel.

An AA battery is 1.5 volts. Two AA batteries in parallel is still 1.5 volts.

Comment

I think this is a stock setting available on my 1982 'The Strat' which has weird wiring and a strange 2 position rotary switch. It sounds quite thick, and not in a humbucker way at all.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you ArtieToo!
            I was aware of the noisy problem of putting the bridge and neck togheter so I took an RWRP pickup for my neck. Since the duckbucker is non noisy by itself I tought that it would resolve the problem for all position but it is noisy in position 2 and 4. I noticed that I have a ground loop in my wiring so maybe this is the reason of the remaining noise.

So when my series switch is activated and I go to position 4 (yes btw position 5 is neck for me too), its 6.5kohm(neck pickup) + 15.5kohm (bridge pickup) = 22kohm in parallel with 2.5kohm (the duckbucker in middle position) so 2.2kohm ?

Comment

I was aware of the noisy problem of putting the bridge and neck togheter so I took an RWRP pickup for my neck. Since the duckbucker is non noisy by itself I tought that it would resolve the problem for all position but it is noisy in position 2 and 4.
              Ah yes. I forgot that you had the Duck in the middle. Good plan.

So when my series switch is activated and I go to position 4 (yes btw position 5 is neck for me too), its 6.5kohm(neck pickup) + 15.5kohm (bridge pickup) = 22kohm in parallel with 2.5kohm (the duckbucker in middle position) so 2.2kohm ?
              Yes, but, (and it's a BIG but), this is one of those cases where the DCR has absolutely no relevance to the output. If you measured this with a meter, the parallel path is sending the meter signal down multiple paths, making the received signal meaningless. If your measuring the load on a power supply, it works. If your measuring the output impedance of a signal generator, (which a pickup is), it's meaningless. At least, in this context.

Your output level will be MUCH higher than if you had a 2.2k pickup.

Comment

Thank you ArtieToo,

So series or regular wiring, you can't measure the output of position 2 and 4 ? We just know it is weaker than position 1,3 and 5?

Another question: Is it possible to connect a single coil in series with the duckbucker, who is wired in parallel?
                Last edited by ThomasP; 02-10-2023, 02:33 PM.

Comment

So series or regular wiring, you can't measure the output of position 2 and 4?
                  Yes, you can. With volts or on an o'scope. Not ohms.

We just know it is weaker than position 1,3 and 5?
                  Not necessarily. It's harder to quantify relative to the human ear because you have phase cancellations as the different nodes slide in and out of phase. The two coils are picking up different places on the strings.

Another question: Is it possible to connect a single coil in series with the duckbucker, who is wired in parallel?
                  Yup. You can wire any two pups in series with each other. Not sure how it will sound. Might be cool. Might not.

Comment

Working...
                  X