No announcement yet.

Floyd Meets The P90s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P-90s are my first love of pups. I have some buckers that I also love but nothing compares to a good P-90. I've got lots of soapbars but I also have LOTS of bucker-sized P-90s. I haven't found any bucker-sized yet that I don't "like", but I have to agree, to a point, that they sound a bit different than a soapbar.

That being said, I have quite a few bucker-sized P-90s that I absolutely love because they sound totally awesome and hard to distinguish from a good soapbar.

You know, just like any pup, there is a lot of variety in sounds available from a P-90 (soapbar or bucker-sized). It's not like it either sounds like a P-90 or it doesn't! I have some soapbars that sound thin and lifeless and some that sound bold enough to blow the top of my amp off (I just finished a build with a set of inexpensive soapbars that I tried out yesterday...all I can say is OH....MY....GOSH!!!!!).

Same thing with the bucker-sized ones. If you haven't tried many of them, you can't judge them.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I just want to add that the "oh my gosh" soapbars were A5s. They're in a cottonwood burl guitar. I also finished another guitar yesterday with ceramic mag soapbars that sound great, but too much of the brittle/piercing ceramic high end. I'm gonna take 'em out and put in A8s or A6s and see what they sound like.

I'm going to post pics of these guitars as well as a couple others I just finished. Maybe later today or tomorrow.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        I just want to add that the "oh my gosh" soapbars were A5s. They're in a cottonwood burl guitar. I also finished another guitar yesterday with ceramic mag soapbars that sound great, but too much of the brittle/piercing ceramic high end. I'm gonna take 'em out and put in A8s or A6s and see what they sound like.

I'm going to post pics of these guitars as well as a couple others I just finished. Maybe later today or tomorrow.
        I look forward to seeing them.

Comment

Review DiMarzio Fantom P90 DP279

From DiMarzio website: https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/p90...umbucker-cover

We don’t have to convince you that vintage P90 pickups are special. You already love their thick mid-range grittiness and growl, their creamy single-notes, and their harmonic bloom.

The only drawback has been that P90s are noisy.

DiMarzio’s challenge was to create a hum-canceling pickup that fit into a P90 cover yet retained the classic nuance, sound, and appearance of a Fifties P90.

Our patent-pending design breaks new ground in guitar pickup development, and uses four coils to give you a P90 without the hum. So go ahead and crank up your amp without fear of the hum.

Last edited by JohnnyGuitarCA; 02-14-2023, 11:29 AM.

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Comment

Working...
          X