Help for wiring please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for wiring please.

Hi everyone. I have taken the plunge and in the process of building a fender strat. I have purchased a set of Seymour Duncan Humbuckers. JB and a Jazz. My build will be 2H, 3 way switch, with only 2 holes 1V and 1T. I am having trouble trying to adapt the seymour duncan wiring diagrams to the set of electronics I already purchased (down here in Australia). Would anyone be kind enough to check out my attached file. I have indicated pretty well much what I have to play with. Just trying to line up the pickups to my existing Volume Pot, Tone Pot, 3 way switch and jack.

I hope this attachment works, and much appreciated for any assistance
    Paul, Australia
    Attached Files

Those kind of switches can have different internal connections so it's best to check it with a meter to confirm.

Typically the black from the bridge will go to lugs 1 and 2 (cut the connection between 2 and 3). Red + white soldered together and taped. Green to ground.
    Black from neck pup to lugs 7 and 8 (cut the connection between 6 and 7). Red and white together. Green to ground.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_108779.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	6220126

Comment

Wait...
        Is position 1 (bridge only) with the lever of the switch "down" in the diagram or "up"?

Comment

I've got two different brands of that type switch and I just tested them. They both connect lug 1 to common when the lever is in the opposite position (up, toward lug 8).
          Certainly Artie's diagram works perfectly, and you wouldn't need to clip the shunts. I just prefer to use lug 1 (and 6) as switch position 1, the lug that the bridge pup is connected to. Then lug 2 (and 7) would be the switch position of both bridge and neck. And lug 3 (and 8) would be neck only.

Either way you wire it it works, just need to rotate the switch to get the positions correct.

Comment

I hope I'm reading that correctly. Lugs #2 & #3 are shorted together, and connected to #4 & #5 when the handle is all the way "back".
            #6 & #7 are shorted together and connected to terminals #4 & #5 when the handle is all the way forward. In position #3, 4&5 are connected to lugs #2 and #7.

It's a 3-pole switch.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              I hope I'm reading that correctly. Lugs #2 & #3 are shorted together, and connected to #4 & #5 when the handle is all the way "back".
              #6 & #7 are shorted together and connected to terminals #4 & #5 when the handle is all the way forward.

That's correct.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              In position #3, 4&5 are connected to lugs #2 and #7.

It's a 3-pole switch.
              Position 3 would be "all the way forward", which would be neck pup only, 4&5 would be connected to 1 and 6 (6 is also shunted to 7). It would be position 2 that is connecting 4&5 with lugs 2 and 7 (which are also shunted to 3&6, respectively).

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                Position 3 would be "all the way forward" . . .
                Yup. My mind transposed to a 5-way for a moment. I meant "middle" position.

Comment

I thought so. It's so easy to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X