Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My HSS Combo Consideration for my Hot Rod Super Strat

Hello everybody

I'm new to the forum and right out need some advice(s) from you more experienced sound connoisseurs.

In general I'm considering to add a full Seymour Duncan HSS configuration for my Hot Rod Super Strat Warmoth build.

Guitar anatomies are ... Body: Alder / Fretboard: Rosewood / Type: Locking Tremolo (Vibrato System) = Floyd Rose with Tungsten Sustain Block

Music: Hardrock/Metal (Example: Harem Scarem)

Now after I've done my part of research I consider in detail the following HSS combo:

Neck HB: Cool Rails (SC-size HB) / Middle SC: Vintage Flat Strat (True SC) / Bridge HB: JB (Fullsize)

My goals are:

1. Need Les Paul-a-like fat humbucker sound from bridge and neck. They should pair gain wise!

2. On the other hand I need the true single coil split clean glassy in-between sounds from positions 2 and 4.

Question 1: What do you think spontaneously?

Question 2: Is it possible to wire like the VAI-JEM-guitars without to push-pull? So SC-splits only for pos. 2 and 4?

Question 3: I plan to install 1 volume pot and 1 tone pot with 500k resistance each. How about that matter?

Thanks in advance!

What you've listed there sounds like it would work. You might want to consider swapping the single coil for an STK-S4 to keep all positions hum free.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

if he is splitting the buckers in 2 & 4 then he would need to split the stack in those positions too keep it hum cancelling, but it can be done with a super swich

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
        The Cool Rails isn't a very 'fat' neck pickup. It sounds clean and clear more than fat. A Little 59 would be closer to the fat description.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you very much for participating. Now so far I get ...

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          What you've listed there sounds like it would work. You might want to consider swapping the single coil for an STK-S4 to keep all positions hum free.
          Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          if he is splitting the buckers in 2 & 4 then he would need to split the stack in those positions too keep it hum cancelling, but it can be done with a super swich
          Also I've considered Duckbucker or Vintage Rails. For the sake of ease I'm leaning towards a true single-coil RwRP middle position because I rarely play the middle pu alone. But for certain I'm still open for advices.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          ... The Cool Rails isn't a very 'fat' neck pickup. It sounds clean and clear more than fat. A Little 59 would be closer to the fat description.
          Seems a better idea than mine. So Little '59 Strat in the neck position would pair almost perfectly with the bridge full-size JB gain-wise or should I consider a more corresponding fat sounding bridge hb?

Comment

My 1st decision: Bridge PU should and will be JB full-size. In this case (Floyd Rose) eventually Trembucker.

If my priority is fat sounding (+ gain/output-wise balanced) Les Paul-a-like bridge and neck sounds then why I shouldn't choose a JB Jr. Strat as neck PU?

Comment

Well, a JB Jr, in any position, (and a full size JB, for that matter), isn't a fat sounding pickup.

Comment

Well, a JB Jr, in any position, (and a full size JB, for that matter), isn't a fat sounding pickup.
                Do you mean JB pronounces upper mid freqs and has less warm lower mids to be fat sounding?
                So If I go neck with a Little '59 Strat then what would you advise me for bridge?

Comment

jb with 250k pots sounds pretty fat to me?

Comment

Don't waste your money on a trembucker JB, Get the Antiquity JB and you will thank yourself later.

Comment

'Fat' is always lower mids to me, and no matter how I try a JB, it is never ever fat.

Comment

'Fat' is always lower mids to me, and no matter how I try a JB, it is never ever fat.
                        Ok. My priority is to make my Strat more to sound like Les Paul.

So if I choose Little '59 Strat Neck then what about '59 humbucker full-size Bridge?

Enough low mids? Description says scooped.

Comment

I think the Lil 59 neck and Vintage Flat Strat middle are good choices for this situation.
                          They will be well suited for autosplit wiring in positions 2 and 4.

And once you have a true Strat pickup there, you might find yourself using middle position more often.
                          Great cleanup for thinner interludes, and nice chime compared to humbuckers.

However I don't feel the full sized 59B will be hot enough or fat enough at the bridge to suit you here.
                          When I think Les Paul tone from a Strat type, I think DiMarzio: The Breed bridge if you can get one, or an AT-1.
                          Or even the classic Super Distortion, which performs well in just about anything. It roars.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post

Ok. My priority is to make my Strat more to sound like Les Paul.

So if I choose Little '59 Strat Neck then what about '59 humbucker full-size Bridge?

Enough low mids? Description says scooped.
                            That's a good setup. If you want something more rockin' than a 59, look at the Whole Lotta Humbucker and High Voltage, too. Also, an Alnico II Pro gets a more 'Slash Les Paul' buttery mid thing going on.

Comment

Fat to me would be Hot Rails neck and A2 JB bridge. Then stick a vintage flat strat in the middle and have it not balance volume wise in position 3 but achieve the goal of quack with auto splits in position 2 and 4 on the 5 way switch.

Or stock would be the Custom Custom. But the Hot Rails neck is the fattest single size hb.

Also, you don't need a rwrp middle single. Normal Duncan strat pups are south, while hbs split stock to north.
                              Last edited by Clint 55; 02-23-2023, 03:28 AM.
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X