Particular HSH diagram needed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Particular HSH diagram needed...

Hello all! I am wanting to wire in a new set of pickups, yet I can't seem to find the diagram I need for the particular coil split configuration I'm looking for... All the diagrams I'm finding are showing the red & wht on both HB's for the coil splits, but I know this will only be right for one of these pickups...

The diagram I need is for the following switching coil configuration:

Position 5: Neck HB series
    Position 4: Neck south coil & middle SC
    Position 3: Middle SC
    Position 2: Bridge north coil & middle SC
    Position 1: Bridge HB series

Details of the pickups wiring & control pattern:
    *pickups are Duncan color coded (- green & bare to ground, red & white for split or taped off, black as hot for the HB's, white is hot & blk is ground for the SC...)
    *Ibanez HSH 5-way switch - NOT a VLX switch, standard production RG import switch... yes, it's for an Ibanez RG...
    *Master Volume, Master tone

can anyone point me in the right direction for this one?? I have another one thays gonna be a bit more challenging, that involves another specific HSH wiring but uses an Ibanez VLX91 multi-pole 5-way switch that I'll ask about in another post...

Thanks!!

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.ne...Meanie_HSH.pdf

Are you looking for the legendary Steve Vai Charvel Green Meanie guitar HSH wiring? Seems to me. If yes, you only have to watch out how the DiMarzio PUs' color codes translate to the Seymour Duncan ones.

Comment

Basically, for bridge north / slug coil, red+white go to ground. For neck south / screw coil, red+white go to hot.

But you can't do that with any normal 5-way switch, (unless you find a megaswitch with particular split capabilities built-in, like Schaller). You need at least 3-4 sets of independent lugs, at least two for selecting between the three pickups, and another set or two to manage the splitting to ground vs hot.

I don't know if it fits in an RG, but it sounds like you need a Schaller Megaswitch S with the HSH2 wiring scheme.

There's also a Fender/Oak Grisby I bought that has a normal 5-way with two sets of independent super lugs that would do it, but I can't find it new anymore. But it fit in my Jackson (which is an import)
      Last edited by beaubrummels; 02-24-2023, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post

Are you looking for the legendary Steve Vai Charvel Green Meanie guitar HSH wiring? Seems to me. If yes, you only have to watch out how the DiMarzio PUs' color codes translate to the Seymour Duncan ones.

FYI that splits both humbuckers to the north / slug coil.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

FYI that splits both humbuckers to the north / slug coil.
          Ok then I have a typical newbie question: Does north or south mean physical pickup-coil orientation, electrical polarization or is that the same?

Comment

Ok then I have a typical newbie question: Does north or south mean physical pickup-coil orientation, electrical polarization or is that the same?
            North and south refer to the magnet polarity when assembled.

For example, in a Seymour Duncan humbucker, the bar magnet is oriented with north pole toward the slugs and south pole toward the screws. Rotating the pickup around or wiring different ways doesn't change the magnetic polarity. Only physically removing the magnet and flipping the magnet 180 degrees can change the north/south polarity of a humbucking pickup.

For single coils, where the slugs are magnets, it will be assembled with either "north up" or "south up", and for Fender types, you can't change that because the coil wire is wrapped around the magnets directly. (Attempting to change out the magnetic slugs would more than likely destroy the pickup.)

Also you don't want to confuse it with the pickup wind direction, which is another factor in the phase of a pickup.

Comment

Kinda, yes, to a degree... the main problem there though is that the neck pickup is mounted rotated - meaning what's supposed to be the north (neck side) coil is actually facing the bridge... in the newer Ibanez/DiMarzio diagrams, they sneakily indicate this by the position of where the wire is coming out of the baseplate... So in the case of DiMarzio: while normal mou timg would have the wire coming out of the bottom right corner of the pickup, it's instead gonna be on the top left corner of the pickup...

And after researching it (because I wanted to correct this exact wiring on an Ibanez RG7620->UV777GR conversion build I just finished...), IIRC Jim Donahue and Steve Blutcher came up with and ran with the idea back when the JEM was created - and carried it onto the Universe models as well... The reason for this is because when the neck HB is split to the north (neck side) coil and paierd with the middle single coil, it becomes hum canceling. Im guessing its because DiMarzio wires thier SC's as a south coil...

But for my case with this particular application, these pickups were wound and made a specific way to mate the single coil with the neck south (bridge side) coil in position 4, and the bridge north (neck side) coil in position 2...

This is such a huge pain in the ass because nobody - DiMarzio & Duncan included - shows the alternative wiring to access the other coil... in this case, which happens to be the one I want...
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                Basically, for bridge north / slug coil, red+white go to ground. For neck south / screw coil, red+white go to hot.

But you can't do that with any normal 5-way switch, (unless you find a megaswitch with particular split capabilities built-in, like Schaller). You need at least 3-4 sets of independent lugs, at least two for selecting between the three pickups, and another set or two to manage the splitting to ground vs hot.

I don't know if it fits in an RG, but it sounds like you need a Schaller Megaswitch S with the HSH2 wiring scheme.

There's also a Fender/Oak Grisby I bought that has a normal 5-way with two sets of independent super lugs that would do it, but I can't find it new anymore. But it fit in my Jackson (which is an import)
                Seriously??? (Faceplam) just my luck... I was hoping to try and save money and not having to buy another Superswitch for what should be a normal wiring... even at that, I still can't find anywhere a diagram that would show me what wires would need to go where for that N south (bridge side) coil & middle in 4 and B north (neck side) coil & middle in 2...

As for the Superswitch itself, the Fender/CRL/Oak-Grigsby/DiMarzio ones are practically the same exact thing. So isnt the Ibanez VLX91, but its got the funky pin layout & trying to translate which set is which has been fun to say the least... And yes, that switch will fit in an RG. I'm using one already for a bridge parallel in position 2 & neck parallel in position 4 application.

Let's see *if* i can get lucky and find the diagram i need without having to get another Superswitch first...

Comment

Originally posted by Despised View Post

Kinda, yes, to a degree... the main problem there though is that the neck pickup is mounted rotated - meaning what's supposed to be the north (neck side) coil is actually facing the bridge... in the newer Ibanez/DiMarzio diagrams, they sneakily indicate this by the position of where the wire is coming out of the baseplate... So in the case of DiMarzio: while normal mou timg would have the wire coming out of the bottom right corner of the pickup, it's instead gonna be on the top left corner of the pickup...

And after researching it (because I wanted to correct this exact wiring on an Ibanez RG7620->UV777GR conversion build I just finished...), IIRC Jim Donahue and Steve Blutcher came up with and ran with the idea back when the JEM was created - and carried it onto the Universe models as well... The reason for this is because when the neck HB is split to the north (neck side) coil and paierd with the middle single coil, it becomes hum canceling. Im guessing its because DiMarzio wires thier SC's as a south coil...

But for my case with this particular application, these pickups were wound and made a specific way to mate the single coil with the neck south (bridge side) coil in position 4, and the bridge north (neck side) coil in position 2...

This is such a huge pain in the ass because nobody - DiMarzio & Duncan included - shows the alternative wiring to access the other coil... in this case, which happens to be the one I want...
                  FYI rotating a pickup and where the wire comes out of the baseplate is not related to which coil is north or south. North and south follows the magnet. I think this is confusing your original request.

For example, if the single coil middle pickup acts as a south coil, then you need to split to the north coil of the humbucker to keep them hum-cancelling, regardless of whether the humbucker has the north coil toward the neck or toward the bridge. The magnetic polarity matters, not the physical orientation.

On a Duncan humbucker, to split to the North/slug coil, red+white go to ground. To split to South/screw coil, red+white go to hot.

There may be other considerations if you are combining different brands and different wind directions, but I don't want to overcomplicate this.

It sounds like you just need to get the right humbucker coil to pair with your middle single, and it's likely going to be red+white to ground on the humbucker if the middle single is like a "South" coil. If that doesn't work, then it's red+white to hot and you should be done. There's only two options. Don't over think it.

Comment

Working...
                  X