banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Rails Neck with Custom Hybrid bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rails Neck with Custom Hybrid bridge?

I have an HSS routed Ibanez AZ. Now it has a Duncan Custom/59 Hybrid. I like it but it's pretty dark, even for the Injector neck that I have in it. I think I'd rather turn it into an HSH. I like Iron Maiden's neck solo tones. Would the hot rails neck pair well with the hybrid?

THanks!

Well, I think the Hot Rails neck was in the 'Iron Maiden Strat', so you are good there. The Hybrid is a little brighter than the HR, however, but many are OK with that if you like a crunchy bridge pickup with a warmer 'Dave Murray-ish' neck pickup. I think the combo might work really well.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hmm..the Hybrid sounds really warm/dark to me. A much darker neck may be too much.

Comment

Try temporarily swapping the Hybrid into the neck and see how it sounds; it will give you a good basis for comparison.

Larry

Comment

The Hot Rails is the darkest single coil size humbucker that Duncan makes. You can get more cut and grind out of the single coil size humbuckers with screw poles, while the ones with blades are more liquidy and snappy. None of them are going to be brighter than a single coil though. If your guitar's all dark you could up your pots to 1 meg volume and 250k no load tone.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 02-25-2023, 03:05 PM.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

IME the Hybrid is not a very dark sounding humbucker - the guitar must have a very dark natural voice.
            Perhaps a Cool Rails would be a better choice here.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
              IME the Hybrid is not a very dark sounding humbucker - the guitar must have a very dark natural voice.

Yea it's a very warm sounding guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post

Yea it's a very warm sounding guitar.
                If it is, then yes, a Cool Rails would be better. Or a Classic Stack if you like Strat sounds.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've NEVER heard the hybrid as being as being "dark". Quite the contrary, actually. Are you running it through a 250k volume pot?
                  You could try running the neck and middle pups through the 250k vol pot and the hybrid through a 500k or even 1 meg vol pot and have a master tone pot.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                    Try temporarily swapping the Hybrid into the neck and see how it sounds; it will give you a good basis for comparison.

Larry
                    its an hss guitar so that wont work.

you say the bridge is dark. how do you find the injector neck?

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

This is what I'm debating on if I go from active pickups to passive pickups in my Charvel Model 5FX which is a neck-through construction with a maple neck and poplar body. The Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid Trembucker in the bridge and a Cool Rails for the slant single coil position in the neck?

Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
                      Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
                      Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
                      2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
                      1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
                      Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
                      Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
                      Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

Demo of cool rails in a super strat.

I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

its an hss guitar so that wont work.

you say the bridge is dark. how do you find the injector neck?

The injector sounds about the right level of bright.

Comment

A9 is even more cutting than A5. You could swap that into the 59/C. I dunno if you would be up for that tho. That and upping your pots could make a significant difference.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

3 easy inexpensive things to try before spending the big bucks on a new pup:

1. Replace pot with 500k or 1 meg;
                              2. Swap the A5 mag for an A9;
                              3. Change the pole screws to ones with higher carbon content, such as 1022.

Each of these has a small affect, but do all three and it will be very noticeable.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X