banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

something beefier than a PG to match with JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I think by the time I took a cover off (or put it back on), I wouldn't trust my memory of the sound.
    I have an amp but most of the time I use an amp-less setup with my Strymon Iridium and headphones. I find it's much easier to compare and contrast this way. I can hear much more detail and nuance through headphones that I ever could just using a standard amp. And with digital, everything always sounds the same so there are no electronic or mechanical variables to worry about.

To be clear, I'm not saying modeling is better than amps. I'm only saying it's easier to compare tones because it's under more controlled conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
      Might try the Jazz again with a mag swap to an A2 to make it a Custom Custom.
      The Jazz with an A2 is a Custom Custom?! No, I don't think so.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

jazz with a2 is an aph1

Comment

Originally posted by Supernautilus View Post

I've only been experimenting with covers for a short time, but I can definitely hear the difference. So far I've tried putting covers on my JB and Jazz, and the difference is night and day to me. The JB just sounded bad. Muffled and bland. Initially the Jazz sounded bad too, but I think that's because it had an A2 mag at the time, and combo made it too dark. With A5 it's much better.

It's funny because I have seen some people say they hardly have any effect while other people say they do. I'm in the latter camp. But everyone's ears are different of course.
          Covers aren't all the same, either, due to plating & even the basic material.
          If the ones you're using make a big difference in tone, they probably are import covers.
          Cheaper ones sometimes are stamped from brass or have underplating that affects the treble.
          Good nickel silver ones make a pretty subtle change - just a little more air in the high treble.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Covers aren't all the same, either, due to plating & even the basic material.
            If the ones you're using make a big difference in tone, they probably are import covers.
            Cheaper ones sometimes are stamped from brass or have underplating that affects the treble.
            Good nickel silver ones make a pretty subtle change - just a little more air in the high treble.
            Actually they are SD brand covers. I bought them brand new in the package. I wanted to be sure they would fit. I'm not sure what they are made of, but I assume it's the correct material.

And yeah the change is subtle but I can hear it for sure. It's very noticeable to me.

Comment

I've never actually installed a cover into a pickup, but I have removed covers from pickups. Yeah, it's not a night and day difference, but there is a difference. Maybe because you usually adjust the screw poles so that they don't stick out as much as they are when they set them for the pickup to have covers, or maybe because sometimes you can get the pickup a tiny bit closer to the strings. I'm sure that has some effect, but even if I before I mess with the pickup height, I've always noticed a "more of everything" kind of change with the cover removed.

Comment

Working...
              X