Duckbucker neck noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duckbucker neck noise

Hi I'm new here,I just replace my esp m-ii stock passive pickups with duckbucker neck and distortion bridge,bridge pu is quiet at all but when I'm switch to neck pickup the noise are so loud especially when I adding a drive pedal,I've check all the grounding and the wiring seems okay,can anyone help?thanks

Welcome to the forum!

The Duckbucker is a very quiet pickup (in both noise and signal volume), so something must be wrong here. First verify that both poles are working. Do you have access to a multimeter? We would want to make sure the pickup is operating properly. You can post clear pics of the wiring as well, and we can see if we spot anything obvious.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've bought three new Duncans that were microphonic out of the box. These things can happen sometimes.
      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Hey Mincer thank you for the reply,I already check it with multimeter and all the ground are connected,I upload the wiring photo and the video of the noise itself on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhm5lWNbNo0 please correct me,btw my guitar tech had to route a little in the neck cavity for the duckbucker and that new route has no paint or shielding is that the cause of the problem?

Comment

I really like the duckbucker but I can't stand it with this noise,here is the beauty I talking about

Comment

My guess is that's not the pickup, but a wiring issue. The soldering looks...like it could be improved.

I'd reflow the connections. As the ultimate check, wire the pickup directly to the output and see what the noise level is like; my guess is it will be nearly silent.

Larry

Comment

Definitely follow Larry's advice. I too see lots of cold solder joints and big blobs of solder that could be causing some problems.

By the way, that's a beautiful guitar. What kind of wood is that?
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks Larry I will try that in a minute,hey Doc that's a esp m-ii custom shop with two pieces of swamp ash body

Comment

Wow, that's the best looking swamp ash I've ever seen (and I've used swamp ash on several of my guitars). Very nice!
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks Doc,tried what Larry said,wired duckbucker neck directly to output,the noise hasn't gone,so the pickup is the problem?

Comment

I've changed the neck pickup three times with different single coil stack and wiring it directly to the output,the noise still there,even the esp stock pickup that before I replace is normal now making noise too,could someone explain that?

Comment

Well, if it is a hum-cancelling pickup, it isn't normal to have noise like that. But since it is happening to 3 different noise-cancelling designs, we might have to look outside of the guitar. Try a different cable, a different room, maybe different location. I am not thinking the pickups are the issue.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Already try at my friends home and still has the noise,did you think that change the output jack,switch and pots can affect that?
                          Last edited by Vampirock; 02-27-2023, 12:25 AM.

Comment

The only thing I can think of is if the baseplate isn't grounded. The bare wire is disconnected somewhere and there's no continuity from the baseplate to the ground solder joint.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

This is the noise I mean,it exactly the same noise as mine https://www.instagram.com/p/B3YXv4IA...d=MjkzY2Y1YTY=
                              Is the duckbucker make same noise like this?

Comment

Working...
                              X