Gibson SG Standard Bridge Pickup Guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson SG Standard Bridge Pickup Guidance

I have a new Gibson SG Standard that I am in love with. I think I got one of the better SGs I've played. No neck dive!!!

Anyhow, the pickup weren't jiving with me. The 490R in the neck was dark and muddy and just terrible sounding. The 490t in the bridge had the right amount of low end, but just seemed muffled sounding to my ears. Not enough clarity.

I picked up a secondhand set of the Saturday Night Specials, and in the neck this pickup was exactly what I was looking for. Tons of clarity! It almost reminds me of a single coil sound. I had a SD Jazz in a former Les Paul of mine, and the SNSn reminds me a lot of the Jazz, but slightly less trebly. It's perfect for the SG, so it's staying put.

The SNS bridge however is not exactly what I want. It's a lot thinner sounding than 490T, too thin for me. I do like the clarity the pickup brings, but it doesn't have enough low-end oopmh to it that the 490t had and it sounds kind of brittle to my ears. I do like a lot of harmonics and not much compression

I've been spending time time browsing lots of pickups and doing comparison with the various EQ charts, and the '78 seems to fit what I need, but the A2Ps and the Antiquity also look appealing too. I keep reading that pearly gates are great for SG, but the EQ chart makes it looks super bright. How reliable are these EQ charts?

For the record, I do have a mojotone solderless 500k wiring harness installed in my SG now. Not sure what was in it originally with the 490's.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SD pickup comparison.jpg Views:	3 Size:	20.3 KB ID:	6221890
    Last edited by Lammchop93; 02-26-2023, 08:55 AM.

are you sure you had a 490t not 498t? the 490t is pretty dang bright and thin to my ears. the sns isnt super fat, but how close do you have it to the strings?

only half trust those eq charts

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      are you sure you had a 490t not 498t? the 490t is pretty dang bright and thin to my ears. the sns isnt super fat, but how close do you have it to the strings?

only half trust those eq charts
      yes, just double checked it was the 490t. I had both pickups maxed out height wise, so pretty close to the strings. Maybe I got a darker sounding SG?

Comment

maybe? but im still surprised the 490t sounds fatter than the sns bridge

Comment

I put a set of 59s in my SG and never looked back. It’s about the only pup installation I’ve never questioned afterwards haha. It’s basically the perfect classic rock humbucker tone to my ears.

Comment

I have a 120th Anni SG with a 490T on my bench. Plenty of brite.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

The DMT Mountain of Tone seems like the tone I'm chasing, but the satin nickel finish is not going to look great with my polished SNS in the neck

Comment

Those EQ charts are just to be taken as a guide. IMO, no way the A2P or the Slash have more bass than the Custom 5.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  maybe? but im still surprised the 490t sounds fatter than the sns bridge

I measured my SNS and it measures exactly 9k, which is less than the stated 9.7k. Maybe that's why it sounds thin? Although the number of wraps should be the same between SNS'

Comment

Originally posted by Lammchop93 View Post
                    I measured my SNS and it measures exactly 9k, which is less than the stated 9.7k. Maybe that's why it sounds thin? Although the number of wraps should be the same between SNS'
                    9k is within 10% tolerance of the spec. They shouldn't sound different, certainly not enough for one of the same model to sound 'thin'. The resistance does not indicate the output. It only indicates how much wire is on the bobbins, which varies based on the thickness of the wire.

Those BMT charts are not right. a '78 model doesn't have that much bass at all and an A2P does not have less mids than a Slash, IME. All those charts look scooped, but not all those pickups sound scooped.

Comment

I ordered a ‘78 to try. Will report back to let you all know how it compares to the SNS

Comment

Originally posted by Lammchop93 View Post
                        I ordered a ‘78 to try. Will report back to let you all know how it compares to the SNS
                        I look forward to this update. I haven't directly compared the 78 to anything yet, and I am considering one for a project. As far as the charts of the pickups, some are way off, at least as my ears are concerned. Also, some of them look so similar that it is difficult to see how anyone can use them to make a decision.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I needed thump in my SG so I put in a Black Winter set and never looked back

Comment

If I had an SG, I would put a Mayhem set in it and be done.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been looking hard at the 78 model pickups for a while now myself. I found this video of Brett Kingman demoing them and they sound absolutely amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X