banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this Kill/Blower combo switch I came up with look correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Kill/Blower combo switch I came up with look correct?

I decided I wanted to add a mini switch, but couldn't decide between a blower or a kill switch.
    Which got me thinking, "what if I didn't have to choose?" So, I tried to come up with a combo switch that would do both.
    If this works, it should be: right - standard volume & tone / center - kill switch / left - vol & tone bypass.
    Does anyone see any issues with this? Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	blower-kill.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	6221979

In a "kill" position, you want to short the output. In your example, you'll "float" the output. Not good. You'll probably get nasty noise and buzzing while in that position.

This is why amp input jack short hot to ground when nothing is plugged in. Let me see if I can find a better way to do this.

Also, in your V/T Bypass position, the "tip" is still connected to the volume and tone. They'll still have some affect on the tone.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-27-2023, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I have a diagram somewhere for what you want to do. But can't put my hand on it.

However the concept is quite simple

Looking at the on-on-on DPDT number the 6 terminals 1 to 6 going clockwise starting at the top right

The hot wire from the bridge pup goes to No 5., your wire from the 3 way out put goes to no.6 . Terminal No 4 connects to the input lug on your volume control . Now when in the middle position the bridge hot connects to the volume pot in the normal way but when in the forward position it connects directly to the output bypassing both vol and tone controls.

Obviously the wire from the 3 way output to the on-on-0n is additional to the wire from there to the output jack.l

To get the kill switch you need a jumper wire from No 6 to No. 2 and No 3 is earthed. There are no connections on No 1 .

I hope that make sense

Sorry about the lack of a diagram. I would have sketched something out but I need a new scanner/printer.
      Last edited by Gstring; 02-27-2023, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks yall. Glad you caught my error and saved me a headache.
        So, I think I got this squared away now. I used a diagram I got from a fella at Guitar Nuts and altered it to fit my needs.
        One thing you will notice is that there is now a Tone Styler in the mix. I recently found it in a box of parts and just had to use put it to use. It was always my plan, but I didn't want to muddy the waters with it before in the previous diagram. But it seems necessary to include here now.
        Let me know what you think. Thanks again for the help.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	combo kill-blower w-styler.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	6222154

Comment

An interesting variation on a theme, I like the idea of the kill being in the middle as this will give a precise stock to blower action.

My suggested wiring was of course for a 2 vol pot guitar. I hope this was not too confusing. I have only ever wired blowers in 2 vol pot guitars although I confess I have never actually used that schematic.

My experience has been that guitarists with these guitars usually prefer a PP blower that is an complete override connecting the bridge direct to the output and "disconnecting" the neck . My understanding is that this enables the guitar controls to be set up for accompaniment and this setting to be retained when the blower is disengaged and you have stock wiring again.

Report back on the success of your project when completed . I would be interested in your honest opinion of the Tone Styler
          Last edited by Gstring; 02-28-2023, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X