Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use Gibson Push/Pull PCB to install SD set

Hello,

I’m trying to install a set of SH11/SH2 to a Gibson Les Paul 2022, would like to use the PCB from Gibson to use the Push/Pull pots and just solder the pickups directly to the pins.

Does anyone know how to solder the pickups to this board ?, don’t want to buy the quick connect adapters.

Thanks

IMO quick connects would be simpler.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I wouldn't solder to the board. Good chance of really mucking it up and not working. It'd be better to track down the connecters Gibson uses and, with the proper wire code color correction, add some connectors to your Duncans, then use the PCB as normal.

Comment

I would just pull the whole lot and start over.
        • CTS TAOT 50TK or 550k pots, your choice*
        • 200 volt* (or lower) rated orange drop capacitors or cheap polyester ones if you prefer, 0.022 uF for the bridge and 0.015 or 0.022 uF for the neck, your choice
        • Gavitt cloth colored wire
        • Switchraft long body selector switch**
        * If you want to reuse the Gibson push-pull pots, well all the pots really, you can. Be aware the Gibson pots may be 330k ohm.

** You don't need 200 volts, 5 volt ones will do, but don't buy 400 volt ones, they're bloody HUGE.

*** You can reuse the pickup selector switch if you like or buy a new Switchcraft "long" one or a cheaper copy of the same.

The Gibson push-pulls are simple on-offs, good only for coil splitting.

With SD pickups, black is hot, green is ground. The red and white get soldered to each other and if youre coil splitting to one lug on the push-pull, it doesnt matter which. The other lug goes to ground on the pot casing. The bare pickup wire ALWAYS goes directly to ground. If youre not coil splitting just solder the red and white together and insulate the bare ends. Heat shrink is best, PVC insulating electrical tape will do.

If you're minded to you can shield the wires to the selector switch using some of this stuff:

12ft Tinned Copper Braid Cable,1/4" Wide Expandable Stainless Steel Braided Sleeving,Earthing,Abrasion-Resistant(0.24" Diameter) https://a.co/d/fenNjyv

I like to solder cloth covered wire "tails" to each end of the sheathing and cover the scruffy ends with heat shrink. One "tail" goes to the switch ground lug, the other to ground on a pot casing. You can also use copper shielding tape from Amazon or the more expensive stuff from Stewmac to shield the switch cavity, control cavity and cover if you like. No need as such, but my Epi LP hummed like a substation until I did. I think its the foot-long wires to the switch that were the problem, YMMV of course.

Comment

I took a picture for wiring reference using the quick connectors off eBay. But I don't have push pulls in my Gibsons.

here it is if it helps at all.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Working...
          X