Cobain Mod on Jaguar HH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobain Mod on Jaguar HH

I would like some wiring advice for my Classic Player Jaguar Special HH.

Goals:
    1. Replace stock pickups with Seymour Duncan Green Magic pickups
    2. Replace neck pickup switch with a 3 way toggle for neck and bridge pickup selection.
    2. Replace functionality of bridge pickup switch with wiring that switches between parallel and series pickup configuration.

Background Info:
    - Here is the link to the 3 way switch I purchased, https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/PSTS-010/PSTS-010. I also posted an image.
    - I found a stock wiring diagram for my guitar and attached the image.
    - Looks like the pickup color codes are different for Seymour Duncan and Fender, I attached images.

And this is where I stand.

Questions:
    1. Based on the wiring diagram I posted, Is it possible to accomplish my goals without drastically changing the stock wiring?
    2. How do I wire the 3 way toggle?
    3. How do I wire the series parallel switch?

Thank you very much!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dbennett; 03-06-2023, 08:38 PM.

Having not installed a Green Magic set, I don't know- is it 2 conductor or 4 conductor?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You would have to do significant changes with the wiring and possibly drill out the pickguard for the new 3-way switch and fill some holes where you'll have to remove some switches (or leave them in and they don't do anything. You've got coil blenders and you want to replace one with a coil series/parallel switch just for the bridge, It's not clear if the right angle 3-way will fit in the same space as the current sliders (have you measured?). The wiring that's in there is pretty cool, but if you want to change it, I'd almost be tempted to start over with a new pickguard.

Simple 3-way toggle wiring is like this:

Series/Parallel coils is done like this (if the switch is 3-way on-on-on, then it will also do coil split):

Comment

i think the green magic is 4cond, at least it says it is. i dont own one to know for sure

Comment

Mincer, they are 4 conductor pickups.

beaubrummels, the Gibson pickup switch fits, the cavity that houses the pickup switches and low cut switch extends over to the neck pickup cavity. And I would like to leave both coil blenders and have the Series/Parallel Switch replace the Bridge pickup switch slide.

I think the issue is the series/parallel switch. Not sure how it would work having it right after the 3 way toggle. I drew a updated diagram of what the wiring would look like with the Gibson toggle and without the series/parallel switch. I think this is correct?

Looks like the question is how to wire up the series/parallel switch. Looks like all the output of the neck pickup and bridge pickup are coming out of the green and red wire, respectively, after the wires are routed from the kill switch. Not sure if you could make a series/parallel circuit with just two wires?

Attached Files

Comment

Need to clarify something, when you say series/parallel, are you talking series/parallel of both pickups together? Or series/parallel of the bridge pickup coils only?

The former you can do with just hot/ground and switching, the latter you can't, so you would have to either give up the coil blender or get really tricky with the wiring to keep both working.

Also, FWIW, it looks like the Fender pickups are wired reverse phase of each other. If you apply that wiring to the Green Magics, it may counter the out of phase built-in to the Green Magics. But it's hard to see the wire colors on the blend switches, so someone will have to check if I'm seeing that correctly.
            Last edited by beaubrummels; 03-08-2023, 02:20 PM.

Comment

beaubrummels Thats a great question, I assumed the option with the two pickups. I didn't know about the second.

Interesting observation about the phase. I uploaded two new photos. Hopefully that gives you a better view!
              Attached Files

Comment

FYI.
                Looks like you have to click on the smaller image to see it full size.

Thanks!

Comment

Here is one more close up.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X