banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another 5-Way Superswitch challenge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another 5-Way Superswitch challenge.

I was wondering if this possible with a 5 way superswitch.

2 Humbuckers, 1 volume and 1 tone. HBs are a Jazz and Perpetual Burn. I want the switch to work like so.

1. Neck in series
    2. Neck in parallel
    3. Both humbuckers in parallel
    4. Bridge humbucker with volume and tone
    5. Bridge humbucker with no volume and tone A.K.A the blower switch mod.

Thanks in advance.
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

I would first renumber your switch positions so we can all be on the same page (conventionally position 1 is bridge and 5 is neck).

I think all of that is possible, but I'll have to work on it to come up with a solution.
    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-11-2023, 09:01 AM.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

https://guitarelectronics.com/oak-gr...ele/#gallery-3

So, looking at this switch, there are actually 4 separate switches: A, B, C, and D. And there are 5 lugs on each of those.

Connect the bridge pup black wire to A-common lug,
      Connect the Jack hot/tip to A-1 lug,
      Connect A-2, A-3 and B-common,
      Connect B-common to D-common
      Connect neck pup black wire to B-3, B-4, and B-5
      Connect neck pup white wire to C-common
      Connect neck pup red wire to C-3, C-5, and to D-4
      Connect C-4 to ground
      Connect D-common to the vol pot input lug (then to the tone pot and to the jack).

Bridge pup red and white connected together and taped off, green to ground. Red pup green to ground.
      Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-11-2023, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Sorry I couldn't include a diagram.

Comment

FWIW I'm not seeing how you can do all of it. You need 2 sets of of lugs to select the pickups, 2 sets of lugs to move the neck series links to hot and ground to make parallel coils, and another set of lugs to control the vol/tone selection.

Maybe there's some tricky way to get it done, but it looks like it requires 5 sets of lugs to me.

Comment

It seems like it would be easier on my end to use a 3 way switch and wire the parallel switch and blower switches separately.
            "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              FWIW I'm not seeing how you can do all of it. You need 2 sets of of lugs to select the pickups, 2 sets of lugs to move the neck series links to hot and ground to make parallel coils, and another set of lugs to control the vol/tone selection.

Maybe there's some tricky way to get it done, but it looks like it requires 5 sets of lugs to me.
              Since the vol/tone bypass selection only involved the bridge pup, I was able to use the switch bank "A" to control the blower in position 1 and bridge selection in positions 1, 2, and 3.
              Please draw out my recommendation and see if it works. If you find a problem please let me know.
              Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-13-2023, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TVFV View Post
                It seems like it would be easier on my end to use a 3 way switch and wire the parallel switch and blower switches separately.
                "Easier"? Well, it would be more straight forward and easier to see what is happening...maybe. But then you'd have three switches to work instead of just one. Not necessarily "easier" to USE.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Since the vol/tone selection only involved the bridge pup, I was able to use the switch bank "A" to control the blower in position 1 and bridge selection in positions 1, 2, and 3.
                  Please draw out my recommendation and see if it works. If you find a problem please let me know.
                  Apologies for the confusion, but, I did want the volume and tone to work for the other positions as well.

Comment

Since the vol/tone selection only involved the bridge pup, I was able to use the switch bank "A" to control the blower in position 1 and bridge selection in positions 1, 2, and 3.
                    If it's all on bank A, how did you jumper the bridge to positions 1-3 without also linking the vol/tone from lug 1? That was the problem I had; as soon as I jumper the bridge to positions 1-3, the vol/tone ended up linked along with it.

EDIT just saw you edited an earlier post. I'll have to try to draw that to see if I get it.
                    Last edited by beaubrummels; 03-12-2023, 02:25 PM.

Comment

https://guitarelectronics.com/oak-gr...ele/#gallery-3

So, looking at this switch, there are actually 4 separate switches: A, B, C, and D. And there are 5 lugs on each of those.

Connect the bridge pup black wire to A-common lug,
                      Connect the Jack hot/tip to A-1 lug,
                      Connect A-2, A-3 and B-common,
                      Connect B-common to D-common
                      Connect neck pup black wire to B-3, B-4, and B-5
                      Connect neck pup white wire to C-common
                      Connect neck pup red wire to C-3, C-5, and to D-4
                      Connect C-4 to ground
                      Connect D-common to the vol pot input lug (then to the tone pot and to the jack).

Bridge pup red and white connected together and taped off, green to ground. Red pup green to ground.
                      Looks like that does it. Pretty tricky way to get there, but that does it.

Comment

Originally posted by TVFV View Post

Apologies for the confusion, but, I did want the volume and tone to work for the other positions as well.
                        I'm sorry, the vol and tone work for all the other positions. I meant to say that the vol and tone "BYPASS" was only on the bridge pup in position 1.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

If it's all on bank A, how did you jumper the bridge to positions 1-3 without also linking the vol/tone from lug 1? That was the problem I had; as soon as I jumper the bridge to positions 1-3, the vol/tone ended up linked along with it.

EDIT just saw you edited an earlier post. I'll have to try to draw that to see if I get it.
                          Yeah, the bridge wasn't "jumpered" to lugs 2 and 3, it was "switched" from the "common" lug.

Comment

Working...
                          X