Strat wiring help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat wiring help needed

I'm wiring up from scratch a S/S/S strat guitar with Bare Knuckle Apaches. I used this diagram for reference and pretty sure I did it right. Tapped the pickups when I was done to see if I had sound. Volume and both Tone knobs work. Only get some ping sounds with a screwdriver tap when in the 4th position. Everything else....nada? Not sure where I could have gone wrong here other than maybe not grounding something properly or just going back to check my solder points?

The world's largest selection of free guitar wiring diagrams. Humbucker, Strat, Tele, Bass and more!

update to myself--the SD diagram doesn't have the wire going from one end of the blade to the other for some reason. Found that on another diagram and now we're back. Hurray me!

Comment

Have you got it working?
      How do you like them?

I have a set in my only SSS guitar (a parts strat) and I really love them.

Congratulations if you got it working.

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
        update to myself--the SD diagram doesn't have the wire going from one end of the blade to the other for some reason. Found that on another diagram and now we're back. Hurray me!
        It's there, I can see the grey wire. It's just really poorly highlighted. Bad diagram.

Comment

haha dude. ok. I give up. It is there. But now could I make sense of that in that diagram. I assumed that gray was part of the switch. It needs to be highlighted red or something.

Comment

I'd also like to know what you think of the Apaches.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Some diagrams are poorly rendered, and some are just plain wrong. We have a thread about the ones that aren't right.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, I looked really hard and still didn't see that grey connection. Now I can barely make it out. But, yeah, that is a very important connection and if you don't make it you will get exactly what you first got...nothing.
                Very poor diagram.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Glad you got it up and running
                  How's it sounding?
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'll let you know once I get the nut on this thing and a setup.

Comment

ok I'm back. I had these working or so I thought and now that I've got it all strung up it's wonky again. I can tap with a screwdriver and get sound on the bridge pickup only. Neck & middle the volume and tone work but no actual sound. Just buzzing. I have checked the diagram a million times. Reflowed all of my joints. I'm at a loss. The only thing I haven't done yet is re-check the ground to the claw but I'll do that next.

Any next steps here before all my hair goes gray?

Comment

Just sounds like neck and middle aren't grounded maybe.

Comment

Shot in the dark, but those "standard" 5-ways come in two different configurations. One with the commons on one end, and one with them on the other. You have to physically look to make sure you establish which poles are the commons.

Comment

Here's the Stew-Mac one that's "backwards." (This is a 3-way pic , but the 5-way is the same.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	3-way_3191.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.8 KB ID:	6231175

Comment

Good idea. I just tried re-doing them and still nada

Comment

Working...
                              X