Dark neck pickup to pair with SH-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark neck pickup to pair with SH-6

Les Paul custom. Have a SH-6B incoming. I want something darker that works well with distortion for the neck pickup, but that can also work well for cleans blended with the bridge or say on a Plexi and the volume rolled back a bit.

neck pups are always darker than bridge pups due to location. fat or tight bottom end? good cleans the priority or dirty tones too?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      neck pups are always darker than bridge pups due to location.
      I disagree. Exactly why I hated the PAF Pro in the neck. Because I distinctly remember it was actually brighter in the neck than the Dominion I had in the bridge at the time. Ugh.

And most of the time, it was ice-pick city with anything hotter I had in the bridge. That's my overall experience with low-wind neck pickups paird with muscular hot bridge pickups (not always, but most of the time), but the PAF Pro was particularly bad.

Obviously, a different kind of bright by being in the neck. Rather than bitey and snarly or twangy, they can become scratchy, squelchy, and overly attacky. JMO.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-14-2023, 08:07 PM.

Comment

thats fair i guess. ive almost never found a neck pup to be too bright, but we play pretty different things. a pgb in the neck sounds fat to me, a jazz bridge in the neck sounds fat to me and both would sound good clean. the sh6n is a great match for the sh6b but i dont love its clean tone, ymmv

Comment

I agree. Depends on the context of what you're using it. I think the Jazz in the neck sounds fine if you're using something like a '59B or even something mid-output. But not a JB, but many people make them work together, so what I do know.

But my favorite combo for low-wind pickups was the '59B with a 250K volume pot with the DiMarzio 36th Anni PAF with a 500K pot. That 36th was so smoooooooth without sounding muddy.

And I'm not in love with the Distortion Neck either. Cleans are kinda bland, I agree. I much prefer the Evo Neck.

Or the Black Winter Neck. Kinda bland cleans as well in full humbucker mode, but I find it splits better because it's less anemic when split.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-14-2023, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I say, look at the Black Winter.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I currently have some WCR Godwood pickups. I find the neck isn’t thick enough/low end and a little too bright.

I want some tight bottom end but on the spectrum between fat and tight, I want it on the tighter side.

Comment

Maybe the Screamin Demon? It's tight with gain and cleans up pretty nicely.
                A bit hotter than the Jazz or 59, more complex and bouncy than the SH-6n.
                Good companion for a high output bridge pickup IMO.
                I wouldn't consider it dark, but it's quite full & rich in neck position.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

You think that the cleans with a Distortion n are bland?
                  Try one with an A4 in it. It should be plenty dark.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    neck pups are always darker than bridge pups due to location. fat or tight bottom end? good cleans the priority or dirty tones too?
                    I think the distinction needs to be made between "pickups" and "position".
                    Neck pickups, as compared to their bridge counterparts, are generally brighter due to the fewer winds and lower output/resistance. However the neck position is always darker than the bridge position due to its location.

I know that was what you were meaning, but I just thought I'd clarify for those on the forum who may not.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I would try a Sentient with the DD. The Sentient has become one of my all time favorite neck pickups. I have had one paired with a Alt 8, Hybrid, JB and a Perpetual Burn and was very pleased with all those combos. In particular the Alt 8/ Sentient combo has been very impressive.
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

While I like the Sentient, it isn't very dark. It is right between the Full Shred and Jazz in the top of the bright category.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

DiMarzio Breed

Comment

How about a 59n with an A6?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Still looking. I’d prefer something stock vs having to magnet swap.

Comment

Working...
                              X