RW/RP question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RW/RP question

So, through a series of events, i happen to have three strat pickups but two of them are RW/RP. I know that a traditional strat would just have one RW/RP in the middle, but would it work the same way if I had the two RW/RP pickups in the neck/bridge and the standard wind and polarity in the middle?

Yes. Are they all the same pickup model like SSL-1?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yes. Absolutely. Provided, of course, youre using the same brand.

Not all brands' "normal" polarities are the same, and even with the same brand, sometimes in the past they switched.

Normal and RWRP are relative to each other. SD "normals" are "south up" and their RWRPs are "north up". This, IIRC, of course. Other brands might be the opposite.

The best way to check the polarities is with a map reading compass. Hold it near the pole piece exposed ends. If the points north end of the arrow swings towards the pickup pole pieces you have a "south up" pickup, the opposite and you have a "north up" pickup. Remember the planet's magnetic south pole is actually nearest its geographic north pole.

You'll need two pickups of one polarity and a third of the other. It doesn't really matter which are which. On a strat with standard wiring, the oddball goes in the middle.

Also remember, the manufacturers usually switch the wire colors too. So the whithe or yellow "hot" is always the "hot". But if you get a weak response in P2 or P4 simply reverse the connections on the middle pickup.

Comment

Working...
      X