59 + JB = ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 + JB = ?

The JB and 59 are probably my two favorite bridge pickups. I love the upper midrange grind of the JB and the sweet crunch of the 59. Which SD pickup would sit squarely between these two, in terms of tone and output? Just wondering…any opinions?

I've always wondered about that too. On the Duncan Blog, they recommend not doing hybrids of pickups more than a wire gauge apart, but then, they came up with these for some ESP's.

Pretty sure DiMarzio does the multiple wire gauges away thing, though.

Comment

JB stepped down could be an A5 DDn or Jason Becker. Similar type crunch. 59 stepped up could be a custom 5. I made a Seth/JB hybrid and it sounded great. I don't think there's any problem with hybrid-ing 42 and 44 awg.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

IME Whole Lotta Humbucker would be in between a 59 - JB tone and output-wise, but leaning a more toward the 59. Anything I can think of that leans more toward the JB output doesn't sound anything like a JB. The JB is pretty unique in the line. But it also depends what guitar this is going in. My reference is more with Les Pauls and SGs (mahogany). Pickups can sound very different in Strat types (alder/ash/basswood/maple).

Comment

I'd go for a 59/Custom Hybrid as sitting between the 2. It is closer to a 59 in EQ, but power-wise, closer to the JB.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I was perusing the website and happened to stumble upon this in the custom shop. The description doesn't say much other than forum members came up with it. Anyone have more details on this?

The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.

Comment

Originally posted by Supernautilus View Post
              I was perusing the website and happened to stumble upon this in the custom shop. The description doesn't say much other than forum members came up with it. Anyone have more details on this?

https://customshop.seymourduncan.com/brobucker/
              I don't doubt those sound killer, but somehow, I have a hard time believing something with 10K resistance and an aged magnet gets "medium" output.

Comment

Hmm, good point. Well, I know the resistance doesn't always correlate with output. For instance, the Jerry Donahue model smokes in my Tele and it's only 7K. It can easily keep up with humbuckers. So maybe it's that kind of thing. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  I don't doubt those sound killer, but somehow, I have a hard time believing something with 10K resistance and an aged magnet gets "medium" output.
                  Well, believe it.

You can't always go by the resistance as a true measure of output. The Demon is 10k and sounds very similar in output to a 59 imo. The 59/C hybrid at 11k also. I don't think you're going to find anything with similar tone to the JB (thank goodness) and output to the 59...maybe a Slash (b).
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Supernautilus View Post

https://customshop.seymourduncan.com/brobucker/
                    The Brobucker is like a Seth with more heat and the mid bump is shifted from the 'honk' region up into the 'chime' region. It plays well with any PAF type in the neck. Works with Seth, Antiquity, A2P, 36th Anniversary, and other Custom Shop offerings like the Bonamassa stuff e.g. Skinnerburst. It's a pretty perfect PAF bridge. The recent Gibson Custombucker (which is A3) is close in sound but noticeably weaker; the Duncan Brobucker is a bit clearer, chimier and has more push in the upper mid region. It sings and cuts through, in it's own PAF-ish way.

Comment

The magnet's charge has a lot more to do with output than resistance; imagine a humbucker with NO magnet, for instance. So the 'aged' magnet (not knowing how it's charged, but it's obviously somewhere between 'fully' and 'not at all') is likely moderating the output.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        You can't always go by the resistance as a true measure of output.
                        Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                        The magnet's charge has a lot more to do with output than resistance;
                        Exactly what I meant!
                        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-21-2023, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          I don't think you're going to find anything with similar tone to the JB (thank goodness).
                          lol

Comment

Maybe the Pegasus?
                            Hotter than the 59, but not as hot as the JB.
                            Or else possibly the 59/Custom as previously mentioned.
                            Last edited by Overlord; 03-21-2023, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I've always wondered about that too. On the Duncan Blog, they recommend not doing hybrids of pickups more than a wire gauge apart, but then, they came up with these for some ESP's.

Pretty sure DiMarzio does the multiple wire gauges away thing, though.
                              That blog is mine. I didn't say that a 42awg humbucker and a 44awg humbucker don't go together. That's nonsense. What I did say, though, is that having one coil with 42awg and one coil with 44awg has not given results as satisfactory compared to 42+43 and 43+44.

Dimarzio had a patent for what they call dual resonance, which has long since expired, leaving this avenue open for others to use and explore, which Seymour Duncan has done with for example the 59Custom Hybrid.

On topic:

The Air Norton by Dimarzio has the open feel and tone of the 59 but the tightness of the JB as well as its fluid 'feel'.
                              The Perpetual Burn is similar (tonally) but skewed a little more towards the JB than the 59, compared to the Air Norton's tilt towards the 59.

I wouldn't go with the Pegasus: that one feels so much tighter and aggressive than the JB or the 59. Doesn't have the open vocal voice of the 59, nor the liquid feel of the JB.

Another great choice would be Bareknuckle's Polymath. Man, that pickup is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                              X