Distortion Neck + A5 ~ 498T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion Neck + A5 ~ 498T?

I have a Distortion Neck pickup lying around. I have an itch to try a Gibson 498T again. Would swapping an A5 in it get me in the ballpark? Or will it be something more along the lines of a Custom 5?

Also, what kind of A5 do you recommend? I distinctly remember my 90's 498T came with a roughcast magnet. It also came with a chrome (not nickel) cover, LOL, but I removed it.

Canadian folks, where do you usually get your magnets for swaps from?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-23-2023, 10:29 PM.

i kinda doubt itll sound like a 498t but i bet it would sound pretty good. any a5 is going to be a pretty drastic change from the ceramic thats in there. id start with whatever a5 you have laying around to see if you like it.

Comment

I don't have any A5 lying around, TBH. Hence why I was planning on ordering one.

Oh, wait, I do have a P Rails lying around. Are those the same size magnets as I'd need for a hummy?

Comment

yep

Comment

The 498T has a certain slightly grainy quality that nothing else IME seems to share.
          I know a guy who loves them - puts one into every Les Paul he gets.
          If you want that particular character, I think an actual 498T is the best option.

However, the DDn is great with a double thick A8 instead of the stock ceramic.
          Smoother highs with a little less fizz, a little more bounce, still bright & beefy.

If you want to try the DDn with an an A5, I'd suggest a double thickness one.
          I suspect it might be a bit harsh with a regular size A5.

EDIT: Then again, it might be pretty close to the Perpetual Burn, which isn't harsh.
          Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 03-25-2023, 11:55 PM.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
          X