Wolfetone vs Motor City Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolfetone vs Motor City Pickups

Been looking to try a different boutique brand and these two seem really good based on reviews. I'm looking at the MC Black Belt and Wolftone Marshallhead. Anyone use these and can tell me about them?

Marshallhead is an amazing set with nice touch response and volume knob cleanup.
    More towards the rich / juicy end of the PAF spectrum, yet it still has cut & chime and isn't overly compressed.

I've heard good things about the BlackBelt but never owned one myself.

You might also consider Godwoods from Jim Wagner; a little fatter & smoother but still PAF-ish.

What guitar will you be putting these in, and what kind of intrinsic voice does it have?
    That can make a lot of difference.

PS: Welcome to the Forum.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
      Marshallhead is an amazing set with nice touch response and volume knob cleanup.
      More towards the rich / juicy end of the PAF spectrum, yet it still has cut & chime and isn't overly compressed.

I've heard good things about the BlackBelt but never owned one myself.

You might also consider Godwoods from Jim Wagner; a little fatter & smoother but still PAF-ish.

What guitar will you be putting these in, and what kind of intrinsic voice does it have?
      That can make a lot of difference.

PS: Welcome to the Forum.
      Thanks. They'll go into a mahogany strat with flame maple top and Afra neck. Yes, the Godwood is one of my all-time favorites and I have a set in another guitar. Your description of the Marshallhead sounds just like them. If the Godwoods are a little smoother, mellower then I think the Marshallheads might be exactly what I'm looking for to coax a little more bite from that guitar. The Godwoods have an incredible lead tone.

The sound I want is pretty much Motorhead's Snakebite Love album, specifically the tracks Better Off Dead and Joy of Labour, and a dash of Judas Priest sizzle on top.

Comment

I've no experience with Wolfetone, outside of a few mails with Wolfe, who is a super nice guy.

MCP Black Belt? The AlNiCo II Black Belt's wound by Wade Westbrook are simply my favourite P.A.F. clones and the only model that I would favor compared to the few vintage Gibson pickups that I had the happiness to play.

Now, the "right" pickups are a moving target for most guitars because each instrument has also its personality, so I wouldn't rely only or a brand name or on testimonials. Nothing is worth direct experience IMHO.

BTW, among Duncan's, I love SH55/Seth Lover's and vintage 59/SH1's (those made in the early 80's). Seymour's tonal signature at its best IMHO when it comes to P.A.F.ish variations. YMMV.

Good luck in your quest. :-)

EDIT - My statements above were about an experience with Gibson's or guitars with the same scale. I'm not sure I would put a MCP BB in a "Fender scaled" instrument. Or I'd order it slightly overwound. Once again, YMMV.

EDIT bis - This answer was initially posted while I hadn't seen the post above. When it comes to Motorhead, I'm stuck to the Fast Eddie Clarke era (who made me deaf to celebrate my first real R&R concert: I show my age here) but isn't Phil Campbell meant to play SH4/TB4 pickups?...
        Last edited by freefrog; 03-26-2023, 06:40 AM.
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I agree there's something a bit special about the old 59s, back when they had the black magnets.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
          X