Red Devil luv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Devil luv?

So any users of the Red Devil fans out there. I have a pile of pickups to use in Strats but want the RD to be what I hope it is. Specifically relating to dynamics and sensitivity. I have The lil 59, cool rails, Hot rails, stacked Strat and Tele. And all manner of other pickups, Dimarzio, etc and singles and hums yada yada. But looking for dynamics (which pickups with ceramic magnets do not have) and note clarity while getting good beef also. You know asking for it all. And I have read (from one source specifically) that the Red Devil suffers somewhat from the A-5 magnet and the small poles not being enough to get good output, like the pickup is too low or something even when it's not. Is this the case or no?
    Or is it the ****? or a little of both?
    Any how any insight if ya got it.

The lils are compressed so it's not going to sound dynamic. The lil screws mess up string coverage a bit. Other than that it's pretty cool. The A5 makes it a bit more organic. It's voiced cool, kind of like a PAF and it's nice and crunchy.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Thanks for the response, the no dynamics is a no go for me. Maybe I will go with a Firebird pup in the bridge on this one. I still have yet to try a YJM Fury yet too.

Comment

Yeah, they aren't the most dynamic pickups. Think how Billy Gibbon's tone for the past 30 years isn't a dynamic one (although good in other ways). The most dynamic little humbucker is probably Vintage Rails and Duckbucker.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Yeah, they aren't the most dynamic pickups. Think how Billy Gibbon's tone for the past 30 years isn't a dynamic one (although good in other ways). The most dynamic little humbucker is probably Vintage Rails and Duckbucker.
          I am a bit bummed I thought the A-5 magnet might make it more dynamic the all the ceramic magnet single sized buckers. I am probably ordering a Fury bridge pickup tonight, been playing on my Strat with a Dimarzio HS3 in the bridge a lot lately, but do not like Larry D so wanting to stay away from that brand. Also not trying to be a YJM worshiper (as much as I think he's bad ass) but I play all sorts of music and need versatility. Any how thanks for the reply.

Comment

With the little humbuckers, it seems that the normal ideas about how magnets affect the sound don't really work. The entire formula is different, so what works in a full size pickup isn't always applicable to the little ones. The YJMs aren't particularly hot, but are pretty dynamic. The Classic Stacks are too, but both of those sound very close to regular single coils than a humbucker.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              With the little humbuckers, it seems that the normal ideas about how magnets affect the sound don't really work. The entire formula is different, so what works in a full size pickup isn't always applicable to the little ones. The YJMs aren't particularly hot, but are pretty dynamic. The Classic Stacks are too, but both of those sound very close to regular single coils than a humbucker.
              Thank you, I have been trying to get answer on that magnet issue on these A-5 magnet Strat sized buckers for quite a while and have not gotten an answer until now. I was hoping for them to be what they just are not oh well.
              I have the vintage stack for Tele and liked it so much in a Tele I stuck one in a Strat. Like a lot of people I have had a long ongoing fight with the Strat bridge pickup since 83'. Oddly enough I have circled back around to the stack design that was around in the 80's and had in a guitar. I will give the Fury a shot, I'm not hating the Dimarzio HS3 I have in one now, just don't like the company.
              Any how thanks again.

Comment

It's the compressed coils that makes the sound compressed among the lil pickups. If anything, the ceramic probably helps cut through that and provide more spark. Minis sound pretty dynamic though if you're going to go that route. The Dmz cruiser sounds really dynamic to me because it's wound lightly. But that's more of a neck pickup and you said you are anti-Dmz.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                X