Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker with strong and tihght low end with dynamic

Hi!
    I have guitar with custom wound Paf neck and overwound Paf bridge.
    Both sound ok, but bridge is to thin.
    I tried JB but it to flobby. Distortion sounds great, massive and tihght low end, but is too compressed, doesn't has dynamic.
    Custom goes to me, i will test it.
    What humbucker would be best for me?
    I need versatile pickup. Much and tihght low end, bright and mid value compression, compromise between dynamics and sustain.
    I know that people thinks differently about dynamic.
    I mean volume differences between strong and weak picking.

I'm wonder about PATB-1

Comment

You can't go wrong with the PATB set. Clean, clear, and articulate. One of my favorite Duncan pups.

Comment

I think staying away from anything that is really hot is a good idea. A 59/Custom Hybrid is about the hottest you can go while at least retaining some dynamics.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I think staying away from anything that is really hot is a good idea. A 59/Custom Hybrid is about the hottest you can go while at least retaining some dynamics.
          Tkanks! What do you think about sh-5 and patb-1? Patb seems like to much compression, but sounds good. Sh-5 seems like compressed, but less.
          59/custom Has it enough bass level and tihgt?

Comment

To me, a Custom is not very dynamic but I don't think a PATB-1 is, either, compared to a PAF-wind. A Pegasus is a little hotter than the Hybrid, but has a very tight low end.

Comment

What makes a pickup compressed?
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I know you said versatile, but what kind of guitar is it? What type/style of music do you mainly play?

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  IMO it's often just higher output causing compression in gear downstream.
                  Still, all else being the same, a higher wind usually gives a slightly less percussive attack.

There's a lot of overlap between frequency response and perceived compression, I think.
                  More wire normally results in a different EQ curve, slightly reduced treble and increased midrange.
                  Extra mids give you increased sustain in most cases - behaving like compression, even if technically it isn't.

Magnetic focus enters into the equation too.
                  Rod pickup magnets are right near the string and sense a narrow section of it, giving a strong, fast attack.
                  A bar underneath a humbucker has a weaker and more diffuse field at the string and sees a wider section too.
                  Slower and softer initial transients (and fuller mids) tend to give humbuckers a smoother, more compressed feel.
                  P90s fall somewhere in between the two - more focused than classic hums, yet fatter than classic singlecoils.

In hums with hex poles or rails the field is more focused than with a traditional slug/screw arrangement.
                  That can give these pickups a brighter, tighter character, and may help them seem less compressed.

Again, I think primarily in terms of perceived compression, a matter of tone and feel.

Still, a super hot humbucker wound with 9.000 turns of 42 gauge would contain nearly a mile of wire.
                  That might cause some actual compression of its own, I imagine.
                  Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 03-26-2023, 04:47 PM.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I've never heard of an overwound PAF sounding thin. I have to wonder if something else is up with the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                      Higher output raises the volume of the quiet playing, while picking chords hard hits the input of the amp which squishes the signal. So you get a sound that is compressed. That is fantastic for many types of music, but not good for a few, like blues and jazz...or rock music influenced by those 2 (think Jeff Beck).

Comment

For strong and tight low end but with the dynamic of a PAF, I recommend Fralin. He's a beast winder for keeping the dcr and compression low but the fat tone high. That's assuming that you want a classic sort of tone and not something different. I got his lowest wind PAF bridge pickup and it still sounded ballsy.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                        X