Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kee Marcello Larrives pickups Europe

Hi.
    I Have one guitar which has the same specs like kee guitars. Alder Body, maple neck with thick rosewood fingerboard and OFR.
    In interviews Kee said that he uses 59 and JB.
    I have 59 and with lowered tone pot, give nie this sound. I just had to rotate it and shorten the pole pieces to give more precision.
    But JB sounds thin with his riffs.
    By ear, it seems to me that he rather used Distortion, it give wall of sound.
    What do you think?

Well, is the rest of your rig just like his? EQ settings can change all that as well, so I wouldn't assume the pickup is the issue straight off.

Larry

Comment

What Larryguitar said.

Did you see this, BTW?
      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

This Charvel strat Has JB on bridge. Yellow Kee's tele sound massive, more like Lee.
        Charvel and Tele sound very different, so is not JB.

Comment

IME, a same pickup in two different guitars can sound vastly different, even when the guitars are of the same model. YMMV.
          Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

▲ ▲ ▲ This. Guitars can vary, sometimes a LOT, even in the same design.

And the JB model is especially notorious for being picky about what guitar it's in.
            It can sound great for certain guitars, and there are others that it just doesn't like.
            Generally the JB likes alder. But the point is, not all alder sounds the same.

Maple necks vary a lot more in sound and in liveness than many players seem to recognize, too.
            When necks of bolt-on guitars are swapped, tone character often follows the neck rather than the body.

The Floyd Rose also is known to thin out the tone - again, more for certain individual guitars than for others.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG80s View Post
              Hi.
              I Have one guitar which has the same specs like kee guitars. Alder Body, maple neck with thick rosewood fingerboard and OFR.
              In interviews Kee said that he uses 59 and JB.
              I have 59 and with lowered tone pot, give nie this sound. I just had to rotate it and shorten the pole pieces to give more precision.
              But JB sounds thin with his riffs.
              By ear, it seems to me that he rather used Distortion, it give wall of sound.
              What do you think?
              I think this is just being too anal.

You have specs like his guitar. You don't have his amps. You don't have the production gear Europe had for Out of This World. Simple as.

Kee played an SG with a strat single coil neck for the following album Prisoners in Paradise and he sounds just as big during neck pickup leads. He sounds just as thick playing a Les Paul, actually.

Surely a single coil isn't as thick as a 59 or the PAF clones he uses right now, yet he still sounds massive.

It's in the hands and gear. Your pickups are fine.

Actually it's no surprise you had to rotate your 59.

The Larivee he used had 24 frets, so the more defined sound came from THAT
              Last edited by Archer250; 03-28-2023, 05:06 PM.
              Originally posted by Myaccount876
              Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Working...
              X