Fender TBX tone control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender TBX tone control

I love the Fender TBX tone control and I’ve been installing it in all of my guitars. I understand the first half 1-5 is like a regular 250k tone pot and after that you switch to the 1MEG pot and it “extends” the bass and treble (which makes my pickups sound less muddy to my ears, and I love it.)

What I would like to do is skip the first half all together. How would I make a just the TBX part of the circuit? I’ve got available 1MEG pots here waiting to make it happen.

please help
    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

A TBX is $15. What you want is more expensive.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

It’s not more expensive if I’ve got the parts sitting at home ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Kac View Post
        I love the Fender TBX tone control and I’ve been installing it in all of my guitars. I understand the first half 1-5 is like a regular 250k tone pot and after that you switch to the 1MEG pot and it “extends” the bass and treble (which makes my pickups sound less muddy to my ears, and I love it.)

What I would like to do is skip the first half all together. How would I make a just the TBX part of the circuit? I’ve got available 1MEG pots here waiting to make it happen.

please help
        Not sure to understand your request but it's not possible to extend the high range by adding a resistive load, even if it's a high one.

A TBX "extends" the high range only relatively to a lower resistive load, as explained here:

The TBX tone control I've been leaving this tone control design until after a few of the simpler ones, in case they helped gain some further insight. What is a

Now, you can use a 1M pot (or a TBX) to build a "bass cut" (hi-pass) filter involving a capacitor in series with the pickup.

Just think to wire any regular tone pot BEFORE this filter, like in the schematic shared in the page below:

The PTB Circuit was one of many G&L innovations. After the frantic soldering fest that was The Pagey Project, I figured it might be time for a nice, simple DIY wiring project. At the suggestion of tonefiend reader JH, I played with variations on the 2-band tone control that appeared in some G&L [...]

That's the signal path applied for such filters by G&L or Reverend guitars and there's a reason for that.

Also: be aware that series capacitors don't cooperate nicely with some circuits (like fuzz pedals; in the video shared by tonefiend, listen when Joe Gore lowers his "bass-cut" control while in drive mode and how it kills the gain, and you should understand what I mean).
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Has anyone installed or seen a TBX in a bass? I'm wanting to put one in my JMJ mustang bass but I'm wandering if I should use the same .022 capacitor or should I use a .047 which is already on the bass(250k pots). I know the wiring diagram that comes with the TBX shows a strat and tele so I understand why the .022 capacitor was recommended. Does anyone for sure know what value capacitor to use for a bass?
          It's funny how some stories became historic,
          especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
          But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

I posted this video recently. I like using a TBX in guitar or bass. They work very well.

Chris and the Toby DX 4 - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

Not sure to understand your request but it's not possible to extend the high range by adding a resistive load, even if it's a high one.

A TBX "extends" the high range only relatively to a lower resistive load, as explained here:

The TBX tone control I've been leaving this tone control design until after a few of the simpler ones, in case they helped gain some further insight. What is a

Now, you can use a 1M pot (or a TBX) to build a "bass cut" (hi-pass) filter involving a capacitor in series with the pickup.

Just think to wire any regular tone pot BEFORE this filter, like in the schematic shared in the page below:

The PTB Circuit was one of many G&L innovations. After the frantic soldering fest that was The Pagey Project, I figured it might be time for a nice, simple DIY wiring project. At the suggestion of tonefiend reader JH, I played with variations on the 2-band tone control that appeared in some G&L [...]

That's the signal path applied for such filters by G&L or Reverend guitars and there's a reason for that.

Also: be aware that series capacitors don't cooperate nicely with some circuits (like fuzz pedals; in the video shared by tonefiend, listen when Joe Gore lowers his "bass-cut" control while in drive mode and how it kills the gain, and you should understand what I mean).
              Great post.
              Thanks for the links, this is gonna make a great improvement on the guitar I'm currently building.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Just my 2 cents - Joe Gore can do no wrong.

Comment

Using a no-load tone pot is a simple way to extend the highs and increase definition.
                  Does not affect the lows of course, but it gives you noticeably more brightness up top.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

A no-load pot may sometimes give you a slight bit more brightness. I use a bypass switch to totally remove the tone pot from the circuit and I can't tell ANY difference from when the tone pot is in the circuit and on "high". But even if it did, it wouldn't be the same thing as removing some bass from the circuit like the TBX could do. If you spend your life playing your guitar for oscilloscopes or other frequency measuring devices, then you NEED a no-load tone pot or a bypass switch. But if you play in a band, forget all the hype and conspiracy about no-load pots...they won't have any effect at all on the perceived tone/brightness/clarity/definition of your guitar. And isn't THAT what all this tone chasing is about...how we sound to those that are listening to us play? I think the TBX would have as much or more difference to our tone than going from an Invader pup to a Jazz.

I've got the Fender dual shaft TBX in a couple guitars and it really does make a huge difference to brightness and clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      A no-load pot may sometimes give you a slight bit more brightness. I use a bypass switch to totally remove the tone pot from the circuit and I can't tell ANY difference from when the tone pot is in the circuit and on "high". But even if it did, it wouldn't be the same thing as removing some bass from the circuit like the TBX could do. If you spend your life playing your guitar for oscilloscopes or other frequency measuring devices, then you NEED a no-load tone pot or a bypass switch. But if you play in a band, forget all the hype and conspiracy about no-load pots...they won't have any effect at all on the perceived tone/brightness/clarity/definition of your guitar. And isn't THAT what all this tone chasing is about...how we sound to those that are listening to us play? I think the TBX would have as much or more difference to our tone than going from an Invader pup to a Jazz.

I've got the Fender dual shaft TBX in a couple guitars and it really does make a huge difference to brightness and clarity.
                      Agreed. I’ve got the TBX in 3 strats, just installed in a 4th that I’m still working on putting back together and imagine that I might be putting it in a couple more guitars after that as well. I just wish I could make a circuit with my 1 Meg pots and wire that in instead of having to get the whole TBX circuit to put in there.

Comment

I just wish I could make a circuit with my 1 Meg pots and wire that in instead of having to get the whole TBX circuit to put in there.
                        See the topic on guitarnuts2 that I've shared in my first answer: all the necessary informations are at disposal there.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

I think no-load makes an audible difference on a 250K tone pot at band volume. Likely not as perceptible with a 500K.

Of course bass cut is an entirely different animal, far more apparent.

Didn't mean to sound as if I were recommending a no-load over the TBX.
                          Just as a simpler intermediate option.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

I think no-load makes an audible difference on a 250K tone pot at band volume. Likely not as perceptible with a 500K.

Of course bass cut is an entirely different animal, far more apparent.

Didn't mean to sound as if I were recommending a no-load over the TBX.
                            Just as a simpler intermediate option.
                            OK, I got it.

Comment

I understand the first half 1-5 is like a regular 250k tone pot and after that you switch to the 1MEG pot and it “extends” the bass and treble.
                              BTW, it doesn't work like that.

In a TBX as wired by Fender, there's a 82k to ground at the end of the 1M part and in parallel with the 250k when it's engaged.

IOW, from 0/10 to 4,9/10, the tone pot puts zero resistance to 250k // 82k = 61k only between the pickups and the tone cap to ground.

@5/10, the 250k part of the pot is totally disabled, since it's no load. it's out of the circuit. But a resistive load remains, due to the 82k resistor alone at this point: it does roughly the same than a regular tone pot set between 5/10 and 2/3.

@10/10, the 1M part adds itself to the 82k, for a total resistive load of 1082k. It doesn't actually "extend" bass AND treble: it just let the resonant peak reach a greater amplitude (close to the maximum amplitude offered by the no load option). So it gives more brightness than with 250k or 500k controls. The impression of more bass is a psychoacoustic artefact due to a higher "Q factor" (higher but narrower resonant peak feeding an illusory sensation of "scooped mids"), itself due to the higher resistive load.

A 1M pot wired as a normal tone control should do largely the same, to be honest. There's no need of fancy wiring for that - and the TBX dual pot itself can be used MUCH more efficiently: I've shared only an idea among others by mentioning somewhere above the G&L / Reverend BT control...

Comment

Working...
                              X